1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Copse of Trees Image Only 13 Years After the Battle

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

The earliest image I have found of the Copse of Trees shown below was taken by William Tipton in 1876. The umbrella shaped Copse is on the right and the Angle is in the middle of the four trees at center of frame. Until last year, I believe the view was from near the Emmitsburg Road straight out from the COT. After more careful examination, it became clear that Tipton's camera was only about half way between the Copse and the ER and was much farther to the left than I originally had believed. The fence running north (left) from the Angle was the key to identifying the proper location. You can see the same fence in my matching now photo I took last September.
    angle combo1.jpg

WJC, klongstreet, Warren and 6 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

In case my description of the camera location needs some clarification, here is an overhead map on which I marked the approximate camera position with an "X" and outlined the frame in the photo with the dotted lines. cam loc 1876.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017

The fence is key to understanding this picture! The copse has changed so much (as living things do) that I rely on the sentinels -- natural and otherwise -- to give me a point of reference.

WJC and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  5. E_just_E

E_just_E Captain Forum Host

Interesting to see that the "Copse" is about 3 trees in 1876, and a large foreground of bushes. None of the trees that are currently surrounded by the familiar and foreboding black iron fences at that spot are witness trees, btw. At best they are second generation volunteers from the trees once were there.

WJC likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)