Contest for Best Dip

Much congrats!!!! Wish we had not already done our Super Bowl shopping!

Donna asked the dip prize be a dip bowl? Sorry, as ever a cyber dip bowl. WELL, here it is. A very inexpensive idea you can buy anywhere very cheaply because no one knows what to do with the things ( as nice as they are )- and they can be used for a LOT of occasions? Punch bowl set!!

Hear me out! How frequently do you use anything for chips and dip, digging through your collection of mixing bowls, cereal bowls, Tupperware, dog dishes ( that's a joke )? For parties, get out that dumb, keeping it around because it was passed down ( or go buy one for nothing at the local consignment shop ) punch bowl and cups.

The bowl is huge- easily holds an extra-large bag of chips, fill each cup with dip. Guests can have their own dip, solves ' double-dipping ' or can leave them scattered around the table, whichever, who cares? Or fill one with veggie slices, dip those. We have two of these monsters. This occurred to me a few years ago looking for bowls for a Christmas party!

Inexpensive and expensive examples out there, inexpensive if they're for this use.
pb2.jpg

pb3.jpg
I think perhaps these are more medium- still not cut glass!

pb1.JPG
Which you could still use for chips..... how fun would that be? In the middle of a football party, a cut glass chip bowl? :giggle:

Anyway, Donna likes an explanation on the other side of her awards, too. Happy to help. She sometimes has trouble with the ' off ' button, having enlisted my services, poor nice woman.

Thanks, Donna! And thanks to everyone else for sharing their tempting dips. I'll have no shortage of dip recipes for Sunday or for any other 'dipping' parties in the future. I'll be giving the Greek Feta Dip a whirl this weekend, because if I use low fat versions of the feta and cream cheeses it's sort of healthy, right? :wink:

Yes, probably it is ... but then again ... fat is what carries the taste and you don 't eat it in large quantities. I like it with nearly no-calorie cucumber sticks or carrot sticks (I sometimes take some of it to work even) and then the cream cheese and feta calories are balanced by the veggies. So, I think you may allow yourself the right stuff, LOL.
You might try to change the red bell pepper with dried tomato, it's also pretty good.

SO. Congrats to all winners! From Donna's Food Forum!

MRB1863, "Mother's Holiday Party Dip and "The Spinach Dip".

1stVirginia "New Orleans Shrimp Dip Mold".

Anna Elizabeth Henry "Hot Bean and Cheese Dip".

diane "Pineapple Dip" and "The Dog Food Dip".

FarawayFriend "Greek Feta Dip".

PeterT for the "Avocado Dip".

Many congratulations and thanks for making Donna's first ( annual ) Dip-Stakes :giggle: such a success.
Since it's a cyber-prize no one has to budget. Went with an antique Kirk and Sons sterling silver punch bowl with 12 cups, ladle can be used for keeping guests under control. ( ebay )

pb s kirk and son sterling.JPG

Much congrats!!!! Wish we had not already done our Super Bowl shopping!

Donna asked the dip prize be a dip bowl? Sorry, as ever a cyber dip bowl. WELL, here it is. A very inexpensive idea you can buy anywhere very cheaply because no one knows what to do with the things ( as nice as they are )- and they can be used for a LOT of occasions? Punch bowl set!!

Hear me out! How frequently do you use anything for chips and dip, digging through your collection of mixing bowls, cereal bowls, Tupperware, dog dishes ( that's a joke )? For parties, get out that dumb, keeping it around because it was passed down ( or go buy one for nothing at the local consignment shop ) punch bowl and cups.

The bowl is huge- easily holds an extra-large bag of chips, fill each cup with dip. Guests can have their own dip, solves ' double-dipping ' or can leave them scattered around the table, whichever, who cares? Or fill one with veggie slices, dip those. We have two of these monsters. This occurred to me a few years ago looking for bowls for a Christmas party!

Inexpensive and expensive examples out there, inexpensive if they're for this use.
View attachment 91429

View attachment 91430
I think perhaps these are more medium- still not cut glass!

View attachment 91428
Which you could still use for chips..... how fun would that be? In the middle of a football party, a cut glass chip bowl? :giggle:

Anyway, Donna likes an explanation on the other side of her awards, too. Happy to help. She sometimes has trouble with the ' off ' button, having enlisted my services, poor nice woman.
Annie, thanks for the photos! We might start a thread with either recipes for punch or ideas what to do with your punch bowls ....
I think I could contribute to either subject ... but as these are your photos, I'd think you should start it.

Annie, thanks for the photos! We might start a thread with either recipes for punch or ideas what to do with your punch bowls ....
I think I could contribute to either subject ... but as these are your photos, I'd think you should start it.

Oh dear, it's your creative idea, Faraway Friend! Mine was just using a punch bowl as a huge chip bowl, with little dip cups! Since Donna isn't feeling well, maybe I'll try to get one together for tomorrow, let her know we're keeping her forum active!

Yes, probably it is ... but then again ... fat is what carries the taste and you don 't eat it in large quantities. I like it with nearly no-calorie cucumber sticks or carrot sticks (I sometimes take some of it to work even) and then the cream cheese and feta calories are balanced by the veggies. So, I think you may allow yourself the right stuff, LOL.
You might try to change the red bell pepper with dried tomato, it's also pretty good.

That's sure a good point - that's why I've been known to push lard not Crisco! Just a matter of great taste or almost great taste... After generations of 'bad fat' and pushing low-fat or no-fat products, the powers that be are awakening and saying maybe fat isn't so bad after all! Or eggs, or salt, or.... I know of Ukrainian, Russian, Amish, Pennsylvania Dutch folks who eat traditional foods made the traditional way and every dish is dozens of eggs, ladles of lard, tons of sour cream - none of it low fat or no fat...and everybody wonders why they haven't keeled over clutching their chests at age 30. They are solid but not fat.

SO. Congrats to all winners! From Donna's Food Forum!

MRB1863, "Mother's Holiday Party Dip and "The Spinach Dip".

1stVirginia "New Orleans Shrimp Dip Mold".

Anna Elizabeth Henry "Hot Bean and Cheese Dip".

diane "Pineapple Dip" and "The Dog Food Dip".

FarawayFriend "Greek Feta Dip".

PeterT for the "Avocado Dip".

Many congratulations and thanks for making Donna's first ( annual ) Dip-Stakes :giggle: such a success.
Since it's a cyber-prize no one has to budget. Went with an antique Kirk and Sons sterling silver punch bowl with 12 cups, ladle can be used for keeping guests under control. ( ebay )

View attachment 91431

Wow! What an amazing punch bowl! Love it! It's so elegant and perfect for some Mardi Gras punch :wink:

I made the Greek Feta dip yesterday.....it was definitely a hit. I put a bit more oil in it and used basil and sage as the mixed herbs. My granddaughter and I hosted our own party while her Dad was at a real Super Bowl party. We watched a movie instead.

The bowl I have for dip is the Mexican Hat Bowl Server. It is very festive. It was originally my Mom's. I know there are pictures out there on one. Maybe JPK can post one.

Mom had one of those, too! They are so cute. Hers was a sombrero with a wide brim for the chips, then you took off part of the crown to make a dip bowl. The top part you removed could be used for another kind of dip. It was really a neat little thing!

Back