Construction

atlantis

Sergeant Major
Construction-Building, to what extent did the war impact building construction in the confederacy. You need materials, tools and skilled labor.

Construction-Building, to what extent did the war impact building construction in the confederacy. You need materials, tools and skilled labor.
Most buildings, such as the Chimborazo Hospital or warehouses were built upon necessity for mainly temporary quarters. The Engineering Department (army corps of) I think did most of the work. I know in the south many carpenters knew the trade but were not qualified in ship building. It is possible some may have been used though, such as in New Orleans when the Louisiana and Mississippi were being built in 1861-2.
Lubliner.

Most buildings, such as the Chimborazo Hospital or warehouses were built upon necessity for mainly temporary quarters. The Engineering Department (army corps of) I think did most of the work. I know in the south many carpenters knew the trade but were not qualified in ship building. It is possible some may have been used though, such as in New Orleans when the Louisiana and Mississippi were being built in 1861-2.
Lubliner.
I was under the impression that quite a few northerners pre war went south to do construction and left with secession. I wonder the north/south ratio of brick masons, carpenters, people who knew how to put a cedar shingle roof on a multi story building, etc.

I was under the impression that quite a few northerners pre war went south to do construction and left with secession. I wonder the north/south ratio of brick masons, carpenters, people who knew how to put a cedar shingle roof on a multi story building, etc.
I certainly don't know the answer to your inquiry. However, I would guess, many Southerners were skilled in building. Look how many were farmers. Most farmers are at least somewhat skilled in most building skills. They may not be masters but, most know enough to put buildings up, & protect them from the elements.

Multiple Confederate ancestors of mine, list "Carpenter" as their profession on their pension applications. Most list "farmer" as their occupation on 1860 census documents.

Back