Confusion over large families using same first names... Col. Robert P. Trabue

kydave

Private
In "Colonial Men & Times" I find reference to a 6th generation Robert Trabue, Col. in CSA, son of 5th generation Daniel Trabue.

BUT one of 5th generation Daniel's children was also named Daniel. 6th generation Daniel had a son, Robert Paxton Trabue, referred to as a lawyer & soldier.

I know the Col. Robert P. Trabue at Shiloh was also a lawyer. I'm trying to pin down if it was the 6th generation Robert or the 7th generation Robert who was the Confederate Colonel at Shiloh.

I'm still looking for the respective birth dates, which should pretty much tell me.

Thanks,

Dave

Ah ha! 7th generation Robert died in February 1863, which I think probably makes him the "Trabue's Brigade" officer.

Does anyone know of the "other" Robert Trabue, Col. CSA, or do you think the book authors were confused? This Robert Trabue apparently died in Illinois, date unknown so far.

Have you gotten his service record from the CW? As an officer, he should have a pretty good paper trail. You can compare that information to census records and match up birth and death dates, place of residence, etc.

In order to get an officer's papers, you have to contact the national archives. Everything is on microfilm and you have to order copies. Some of the libraries here in the south have those microfilm rolls, but I don't know if you can find them in California. Just remember, when you are dealing with the national archives, you have to be precise in what you are asking for. The officers papers are on a roll separate from the soldier's service records.

In order to get an officer's papers, you have to contact the national archives. Everything is on microfilm and you have to order copies. Some of the libraries here in the south have those microfilm rolls, but I don't know if you can find them in California. Just remember, when you are dealing with the national archives, you have to be precise in what you are asking for. The officers papers are on a roll separate from the soldier's service records.

Since he was in the CSA, his records are most likely on Footnote.com. They have a 7-day free trial. If you don't want to go look there, or can't, post here. A lot of us do look-ups for people.

This May help....
The link.. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mysouthernfamily/myff/d0066/g0000048.html

Col. Robert Paxton TRABUE

1 Jan 1824 - 2 Feb 1863

ID Number: I28344

TITLE: Col.
OCCUPATION: C.S.A.1st KY Brigade at Shiloh; Mexican War & attorney
RESIDENCE: Adair Co. KY and MS and LA
BIRTH: 1 Jan 1824, Adair Co. Kentucky
DEATH: 2 Feb 1863, Adair Co. Kentucky [145142]
RESOURCES: See: [S180] [S1064]
Father: Daniel TRABUE Jr.
Mother: Mary "Polly" PAXTON

Family 1 : Hibernia INGE
MARRIAGE: Natchez, MS

Notes

COL ROBERT PAXTON TRABUE. b. Jan 1, 1824, Adair Co. Ky; d. Feb 2, 1863, Adair Co., Ky. He was a Captain in the war with Mexico. He was a Colonel in the Confederate States Army and commanded the First Kentucky Brigade at Shiloh. He exhibited great skill and bravery and was recommended for promotion to the rank of General, but died of pneumonia. He was an attorney & practiced in Mississippi & Louisiana.

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jemcgee/index.html 49th Alabama (CSA) During the Civil War: Also researching this unit that included volunteers from Madison, Marshall, Jackson, DeKalb, Dallas, and Blount counties of Alabama. It was initially known as Hale's 31st Alabama but changed to the 49th Alabama shortly before the Battle of Shiloh. The unit was organized near Nashville, TN in January, 1862. They participated in the Battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, and eventually surrendered with the fall of Port Hudson, LA.

'The regiment [49th Alabama] acted with praiseworthy gallantry in this action.'
Col. Robert Trabue, the Battle of Shiloh, April 6 and 7, 1862.

The gunners of Stanford's Mississippi Battery, had just heard the sound of their guns for the first time. Here, on the green fields around Shiloh Church, near Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee, they had received their "baptism by fire." wrote Sergeant Brown, "an officer came up and ordered us to the support of Gen'l Breckinridge, as the enemy was concentrating in his front."

One of Stanford's guns, disabled the day before, had been sent from the field, leaving the captain with five working pieces. He quickly had his battery rolling toward the front. "We went about a mile, and took a position near the centre," Magee remembered. The battery unlimbered amid a battle line drawn up at almost the same spot from which they had fired as part of the Ruggles Line the day before. The Mississippians were about a mile and three-quarters southwest of Pittsburg Landing. Stanford's Mississippians took a position supporting Colonel Winfield Statham's and Colonel Robert Trabue's brigades of Breckinridge's corps.

As the fighting intensified, Stanford's battery was sent forward into a clearing known as Duncan Field to counter a Union battery that had opened fire on the Confederates. Beyond Duncan Field, shielded from view by the trees beyond the Sunken Road, was Captain Joseph Bartlett's Battery G, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. "The only sign we could see of them was the smoke rising from the bushes where they hid," wrote Sergeant Brown.

Captain Stanford opened fire on the Union guns at once. This, Brown recalled, drew an immediate response. The Rebel battery found itself enveloped in a hellish maelstrom. "From those bushes came such a succession of deafening peals of thunder as I had never heard before, seeming to almost lift us from the ground," Brown remembered. "A mad storm of shot, shell, and canister swept by us. The flash, the roar, and the iron storm continued to come without intermission."

This firestorm stiffened the Mississippians' resolve, according to Brown: "We were far from submitting quietly from the fierce torrent of their anger, and I have no doubt that our guns made their position nearly as disagreeable as ours." Raising a lusty battle cry, the Confederate infantry passed through the artillery line and charged. An unbroken roar of musketry greeted the grayclad troops as they drew near the woods beyond Duncan Field. "The storm that swept through the thick undergrowth could not be withstood," Brown wrote. "The line that charged came back in confusion, so deadly was the reception they had met, and so demoralized by the shock, they could not rally around our battery.

In this book there is a picture of Robert P. Trabue, It gives a short bio on him. He died in Richmond, VA..

http://books.google.com/books?id=Sm...&q=Colonel robert trabue, mississippi&f=false

Here a bio on a James Lane. who was Trabue law partner...

http://books.google.com/books?id=3C...esnum=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q&f=false

In this book gives a brief look at Robert's diplomatic talents...He had a nickname "Old Trib"

http://books.google.com/books?id=h4...&q=Colonel robert trabue, mississippi&f=false

Sir: Thank you very, very much! Dave

<<In this book there is a picture of Robert P. Trabue, It gives a short bio on him. He died in Richmond, VA..

Here a bio on a James Lane. who was Trabue law partner...

In this book gives a brief look at Robert's diplomatic talents...He had a nickname "Old Trib">>

P.S.

ANOTHER closer relative, not as prominent as Col. Robert -

One reference as Sergeant George W. Trabue; survived the war, buried by the Company in 1884 in Confederate Circle.
Another reference as G.W. Trabue, Lt.
I have no doubt this would be a son of my great grandfather x 4, George Washington Trabue, Sr., and brother of my great grandfather x 3, Dr. Benjamin Franklin Trabue.

So if I read my tables correctly (not at all sure about this though!):

Col. Robert would be my 2nd cousin, 6 times removed; and
Sgt. George would be my 1st cousin, 4 times removed.

I can see how this research could become addictive! Thank you all!

AND I've found an ordnance officer serving under Col. Robert - Lt. Presley Trabue!

Dave

You might be interested to see the photo posted by Terry B of Rutledges artillery. Your ancestor Sgt. George might be the second named in that photo?

You may want to research the method that names were picked in a given family...
Most European nation had a tradition in the way names were assigned. for example, each child was given two names. In our family the first born son would be given his first name from this paternal grandfather and his middle or second name from the maternal grandfather..etc.
Irish tradition was, oldest son named after the Father’s father, 2nd son named after the Mother’s father, 3rd son named after the Father, 4th son named after the Father’s oldest brother, oldest daughter named after the Mother’s mother, 2nd daughter named after the Father’s mother, 3rd daughter named after the Mother, 4th daughter named after the Mother’s oldest sister.
Each group had some variation of this, understanding this makes it much easier to connect the dots when you start getting back several generations.

Don't forget khalleron's suggestion either - you can get SO MUCH information from footnote.com. I've been able to track most of my family's movements through the civil war just through their muster sheets that I was able to obtain from there. I thought I had found everyone in my family who had fought in the CW, but just found another three brothers (something like my fourth great-uncles) who served - one discharged due to epilepsy, one discharged due to disability (measles/pneumonia), and the third unknown as of yet. Post back and let us know everything you've learned!

Back