Conference at Stone Mountain Oct 17 - Confederate Heritage and the Fracturing of American Identity

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Confederate Heritage and the Fracturing of American Identity
Join us for a thoughtful discussion of what Confederate symbols mean and why they are under attack. For over a century Confederate monuments and symbols were commemorated as part of a complex American national identity. Recent efforts by political and cultural elites to remove those symbols are shameful and ignorant actions which demonstrate that these leaders and their supporters envision an America bereft of its honor, character, and founding principles.

Lectures:
  • “The Southern Genocide,” Dr. Thomas Fleming
  • “The Confederate Rule of Law: An American Patrimony Worth Fighting for Then and Now,” Prof. Marshall De Rosa
  • “The Old South and the New South,” Prof. Brion McClanahan
  • “The Changing Meaning of Confederate Symbols,” Prof. Carey Roberts
  • “The Real Reason the South Seceded.” Prof. Donald Livingston
  • “A Heritage Story: ‘The Army of the Dead,'” Barbara Marthal
  • Meet the Speakers:
  • For those arriving Friday night and would like informal discussions with the speakers, add $25 to the conference fee.

What’s included:
    The lectures are on Saturday, October 17 from 9 am to 5 pm. Conference fee is $150 which includes entrance to the park, tuition, breakfast, lunch, and a rich selection of continuous refreshments throughout the meeting.

Place:
    The Evergreen Marriott Hotel in Stone Mountain Park, Stone Mountain, Georgia in view of the monumental Confederate Memorial.

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=41d92968e1e10ba88ff5078a2&id=2e1f7505bf&e=8b44f214a9

With Fleming as either opening or keynote speaker it sounds as though this is a serious effort; I would be interested to hear how it's received.

Honestly both their statement of purpose and their list of topics sound pretty icky. The real reason the South seceded? So this is a whole conference full of people lying about history? Also, none of the people seeking to remove monuments in my town are "cultural elites," they are the black people who form the majority of the population. A majority cannot be an elite, the two words are incompatible.

Honestly both their statement of purpose and their list of topics sound pretty icky. The real reason the South seceded? So this is a whole conference full of people lying about history? Also, none of the people seeking to remove monuments in my town are "cultural elites," they are the black people who form the majority of the population. A majority cannot be an elite, the two words are incompatible.

Black folks are now the majority everywhere monuments are threatened? Interestingly I'll bet most black folks are relatively indifferent to them. I'll bet if one were to look, we might find a small cadre of what can only be called elites, trying to stir up support for removal.

This would be the same Thomas Fleming who refered to the KKK as an "army of liberation".

I hadn't heard that; I only know him as a long-time and well-thought-of historian of the Revolutionary War.

Edit: I think I only have his Now We Are Enemies (the Battle of Bunker Hill) but he wrote the companion volume to accompany the PBS series on The Revolution.

Black folks are now the majority everywhere monuments are threatened? Interestingly I'll bet most black folks are relatively indifferent to them. I'll bet if one were to look, we might find a small cadre of what can only be called elites, trying to stir up support for removal.
Blacks are the majority in Memphis. However, I see no evidence of any elite anything anywhere. In fact many groups which pride themselves on being antithetical to those usually called "elites" are leading the drive for removal.

Locally, my next door neighbor is an elderly lady with not very much interest in anything, and she's not indifferent. Nor is she being "stirred up," since she is vocal about disliking the local politicians who have spoken up on the subject.

Does it not occur to you that the descendants of enslaved people might be more aware of matters which affect them than you are?

There's something singularly hilarious in a Conference clearly intended for members of the SCV and UDC referring to its enemies disparagingly as elites. Is it possible to be more elitist than asking prospective members to prove their genetic eligibility to be members of your group? So now suddenly they think elite means bad?

Sorry.....didnt mean to stir up the monument issue.:nah disagree:

Just thought the list of topics was....as @Private Watkins said so accurately ......."interesting." :unsure:
It's the world we live in... :smoke: No harm in bringing this to our attention.

I'm glad you posted it and am certainly appreciative of all the comments... I'm learning lots and appreciate everyone's perspectives.

Join us for a thoughtful discussion of what Confederate symbols mean and why they are under attack. For over a century Confederate monuments and symbols were commemorated as part of a complex American national identity. Recent efforts by political and cultural elites to remove those symbols are shameful and ignorant actions which demonstrate that these leaders and their supporters envision an America bereft of its honor, character, and founding principles.

Lectures:
  • “The Confederate Rule of Law: An American Patrimony Worth Fighting for Then and Now,” Prof. Marshall De Rosa
  • Meet the Speakers:
  • For those arriving Friday night and would like informal discussions with the speakers, add $25 to the conference fee.

What’s included:
    The lectures are on Saturday, October 17 from 9 am to 5 pm. Conference fee is $150 which includes entrance to the park, tuition, breakfast, lunch, and a rich selection of continuous refreshments throughout the meeting.

Place:
    The Evergreen Marriott Hotel in Stone Mountain Park, Stone Mountain, Georgia in view of the monumental Confederate Memorial.

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=41d92968e1e10ba88ff5078a2&id=2e1f7505bf&e=8b44f214a9

$150 to hear the same Lost Cause nonsense I can read here for free?

NO THANKS.

Unionblue

Blacks are the majority in Memphis. However, I see no evidence of any elite anything anywhere. In fact many groups which pride themselves on being antithetical to those usually called "elites" are leading the drive for removal.

Locally, my next door neighbor is an elderly lady with not very much interest in anything, and she's not indifferent. Nor is she being "stirred up," since she is vocal about disliking the local politicians who have spoken up on the subject.

Does it not occur to you that the descendants of enslaved people might be more aware of matters which affect them than you are?

Of course it occurs to me. She ie entitled to take any position she likes about any subject she wishes. I hope she is acutely aware of matters that affect her and all of Memphis. I would think digging up and moving a man that been dead for a century would be fairly low on the priority list, but if not, then have at it.

I'm beginning to tire of folks, like yourself, who seem to believe that anyone who cares about Confederate heritage is somehow automatically racist against blacks. The last person that accused me of being a bigot in person because he didn't like what I was telling him, subsequently apologized when he saw how I fought for him and has been a constant source of referrals since then. To suggest as you just did that I somehow devalue "descendants of slaves" is extremely offensive.

Lectures:
  • Meet the Speakers:

What’s included:

Place:

Sounds like a great meeting, I wish I could be there.

Of course it occurs to me. She ie entitled to take any position she likes about any subject she wishes. I hope she is acutely aware of matters that affect her and all of Memphis. I would think digging up and moving a man that been dead for a century would be fairly low on the priority list, but if not, then have at it.

I'm beginning to tire of folks, like yourself, who seem to believe that anyone who cares about Confederate heritage is somehow automatically racist against blacks. The last person that accused me of being a bigot in person because he didn't like what I was telling him, subsequently apologized when he saw how I fought for him and has been a constant source of referrals since then. To suggest as you just did that I somehow devalue "descendants of slaves" is extremely offensive.
I suggested it because you did devalue them, by stating that you felt they were "relatively indifferent" to matters concerning their own heritage. If a description of your own behavior offends you, may I suggest that I am not the issue.

I don't assume that everyone who cares about Confederate heritage is automatically racist. I wait for them to show me that they are, and they rarely disappoint.

Back