Confederates who wore blue and Unionists who wore gray

I have read that early in the war, when standardization of uniforms was as yet minimal, there were several, and perhaps even many, confederate units who wore blue and several or more Union units who wore gray. I also understand that this fact caused great confusion, with some tragic consequences, at Bull Run/First Manassas. Can anyone cite some specific examples of units and/or general officers who wore the "opposite" colors?

I know the early Wisconsin regiments where issued gray uniforms.

But it was not only an early war issue.
Another was the fact that some CSA eastern troops was issued uniforms that was made from british wool and they where a grey-blueish color.

So when Longstreet went west i late 63 his blueclad men caused confusion both in battle and during more peaceful times. This Include Grant who mention in his memoirs that he during an inspection of his picket line he had a chat with one of Longstreets men... and the rebs called out their guards for him... showed their respect and he rode back.

Grant write "General Longstreet's corps was stationed there at the time, and wore blue of a little different shade from our uniform, Seeing a soldier in blue on this log, I rode up to him, commenced conversing with him, and asked whose corps he belonged to. He was very polite, and, touching his hat to me, said he belonged to General Longstreet's corps. I asked him a few questions - but none with a view of gaining any particular information - all of which he answered, and I rode off."
Found at the end of chapter 41.

(imagine a US soldier today just having a chat with an very high ranking enemy commander and letting him go?)

Last edited:

Another was the fact that some CSA eastern troops was issued uniforms that was made from british wool and they where a grey-blueish color.

So when Longstreet went west i late 63 his blueclad men caused confusion both in battle and during more peaceful times. This Include Grant who mention in his memoirs that he during an inspection of his picket line rode too fare and had a chat with one of Longstreets men... and the rebs called out their guards for him... showed their respect and he rode back.
(imagine a US soldier today just having a chat with an very high ranking enemy commander and letting him go?)

Fascinating. Thanks for that.

This thread shows examples of the gray uniform worn by Wisconsin units early in the war.

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/wisconsin-state-issue-uniform.123269/

Charles Stewart of Company B, 8th Wisconsin Infantry.
stewart.png

Pvt. Frederick Lythson, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, wearing the Wisconsin militia gray frock coat and tall cap issued in the early days of the war.
e80b604e8fd5777e21fec600af376425-jpg.jpg

Sgt. William H Harries, Company B, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry.
harries.jpg

http://www.wisvetsmuseum.com/exhibitions/ongoing/online_gallery1/?ID=78

As one volunteer from Madison explained: "We were not ready, and did not know how to get ready. The uniforms caused much delay. Enough blue cloth could not be found, and so a change was made to gray, the rebel color -- an obvious blunder. All shades of gray cloth had to be used to get enough." Eight Wisconsin regiments marched off to war, outfitted in gray uniforms ... imagine the confusion they created! One unlucky Wisconsin regiment was even fired upon simultaneously by both Yankee and Rebel units.

Wisconsin Gray Uniforms

UNIFOR1.jpg

Company A and Company E of the 12th Virginia Infantry went off to war wearing blue uniforms.

So when Longstreet went west i late 63 his blueclad men caused confusion both in battle and during more peaceful times. This Include Grant who mention in his memoirs that he during an inspection of his picket line he had a chat with one of Longstreets men... and the rebs called out their guards for him... showed their respect and he rode back.

Grant write "General Longstreet's corps was stationed there at the time, and wore blue of a little different shade from our uniform, Seeing a soldier in blue on this log, I rode up to him, commenced conversing with him, and asked whose corps he belonged to. He was very polite, and, touching his hat to me, said he belonged to General Longstreet's corps. I asked him a few questions - but none with a view of gaining any particular information - all of which he answered, and I rode off."
Found at the end of chapter 41.

Google Alfred May, 61st North Carolina. Among his items in the North Carolina Museum of History is the uniform he was issued in the last year of the war. This will give you some idea of the blue uniforms issued to Longstreet's Corps before Chickamauga.

1996_193_19A.jpg

Chapter 41 of what book? Name of book please.
earlier in the text "This Include Grant who mention in his memoirs" so thought that was clear.

The text is found at the end of chapter 41 in Grants "Personal Memoirs"
(the reason I give the chapter and not page number is simply that Iam not sure if the page number is the same in different editions of the book)

Last edited:
Sheridan used the Jesse Scouts for intel in the Shenandoah Valley. These Scouts dressed as Confederates and even cultivated Southern accents so that they could engage them in conversation to learn of troop movements etc

I have read that early in the war, when standardization of uniforms was as yet minimal, there were several, and perhaps even many, confederate units who wore blue and several or more Union units who wore gray. I also understand that this fact caused great confusion, with some tragic consequences, at Bull Run/First Manassas. Can anyone cite some specific examples of units and/or general officers who wore the "opposite" colors?

Probably the best example from First Manassas is that of the 33d Virginia of the Stonewall Brigade who marched at an oblique angle (not obvious exactly which side it had come from) toward a section (two guns) of the battery of either Charles Griffin or James Ricketts. The artillery held its fire long enough to allow the 33d, whose members were clad in regulation U.S. style dark blue frock coats to get off a volley which eradicated the gun crews and sent confusion through the Union ranks on Henry Hill. No only Jackson was wearing his pre-war blue uniform, but also Gen. Bee and possibly Johnston and Beauregard as well!

I was recently looking into the 11th Indiana Infantry, Lew Wallace's regiment. They were a "Zouave regiment," though their uniform was really more of an Americanized Chasseur style. Also to note, the 11th Indiana was one of the few units actually drilled in the "Zouave drill."

In his autobiography, Lew Wallace describes the 11th's uniform:
"There was nothing of the flashy, Algerian colors in the uniform of the Eleventh Indiana; no red fez, a head gear exclusively Mohammedan, and therefore to be religiously avoided by Christians; no red breeches, no red or yellow sash with tassels big as early cabbages. Our outfit was of the tamest gray twilled goods, not unlike home-made jeans—a visor cap, French in pattern, its top of red cloth not larger than the palm of one's hand; a blue flannel shirt with open neck; a jacket Greekish in form, edged with narrow binding, the red scarcely noticeable; breeches baggy, but not petti-coated; button gaiters connecting below the knees with the breeches, and strapped over the shoe. The effect was to magnify the men, though in line two thousand yards off they looked like a smoky ribbon long-drawn out."

8811_42_116-civil-war-troiani-artillery-soldiers.jpg

jwperry.jpg

James W. Perry, Company K, 11th Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Last edited:
Back