1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Confederate Veteran at the (Inner) Angle

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Jan 26, 2017.

1. EJ Zander

EJ Zander Sergeant

You need any local info just ask.

JohnW. likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. EJ Zander

EJ Zander Sergeant

Our family has adopted several artillery positions and all of ours have been redone over the last 10 years.

JohnW., Eagle eye and John Winn like this.
  4. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

I will definitely keep you in mind. Thank you!!! :smile:

EJ Zander likes this.
  5. EJ Zander

EJ Zander Sergeant

Please do. The local taxes can vary greatly depending on the township and school district you live in.

JohnW. likes this.
  6. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

Regarding the comments related to the difference in the stone wall-you might be interested in this 1882 Tipton photograph that shows this same section of the stone wall seen in my post. As you can see the wall was similar to how it appears in the old pic in my post only 19 years after the battle. I believe that this is probably close to how it appeared during the battle. The fella standing at the wall with the rifle is approximately where the veteran is sitting in my post.
    t2653.jpg

FZ11, Bee, Irishtom29 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

(From a previous related post)

Here's what some of the participants had to say about that wall:

- "fallen stone wall" (Lt. John T. Dent, 1st Delaware, Official Report)

- "low stone wall" (William T. Seville, History of the First Regiment Delaware Volunteers)

- "low stone wall" (Maj. Theodore G. Ellis, 14th Connecticut, Official Report)

- "loose stone wall" and "wall built on a ledge of rocks" (Charles D. Page, History of the Fourteenth Regiment Connecticut Vol. Infantry)

- "low stone wall" (Maj. Dunn Browne's Experiences in the Army. Dunn Browne was the pen name of Capt. Samuel Fiske, 14th Connecticut)

- "wall a simple affair ... but the men crouched down by it as their only friendly shelter" and "piling a little the thrown down stones of the wall" (Chaplain H. S. Stevens, Souvenir or Excursion to Battlefields, by the Society of the Fourteenth Connecticut Infantry)

PeterT, Bee, O' Be Joyful and 2 others like this.
  8. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Yep...this goes with all I have heard about most of the stone walls in July 1863.....knee high or lower. Cool :smile:

PeterT likes this.
  9. Irishtom29

Irishtom29 Corporal

Interesting photo and one that raises several questions. Who owned the land in 1882 and how was it used? If privately owned in 1882 and used as it was in 1863 it's reasonable to assume the 1863 walls would've resembled the 1882 walls. Another question--how and why did the walls get lower between when the old photos in question were taken and now?

JohnW. likes this.
  10. ixoyejmt07

ixoyejmt07 Cadet

I really enjoy
    I find these picture fascinating. I am new to Civil War talk though I am a CW buff.

O' Be Joyful and JohnW. like this.
  11. FZ11

FZ11 Sergeant Major

Agree that the "old" pic is probably the original height. This is not a stone "wall"...It's a stone fence.

Gettysburg Greg and JohnW. like this.
  12. DavidGroton

DavidGroton Cadet

@Gettysburg Greg: The 1882 photo in post #25 is looking North towards the Bryan house and Zeigler Grove, correct?

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  13. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Corporal

Yes, that is the Brian barn to the left of the wall in the distance.

JohnW. likes this.
  14. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

I did not really appreciate the mash-up of then and now, achieved with this picture, the first time around! Very nice effort :smile:

Gettysburg Greg and JohnW. like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)