1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Confederate Uniforms Pages From Harper's Weekly, 1861

Discussion in 'Civil War Uniforms & Relics' started by JPK Huson 1863, Jan 15, 2017.

1. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

Bumped into these in Harper's Weekly- of course an 1861 issue. Though not photographs, thought maybe they would be of interest? Had no idea there were so many! We tend to hear how tough it was, keeping the Confederate Army clothed due to horrendous shortages- these were maybe how it all began?

Never heard of a few, like the " Black Horse Cavalry ". Sounds kind of cool.

confun 1.jpg
    Louisiana Zouaves, Washington Artillery of New Orleans, Mississippi Rifles, Alabama Light Infantry, Marine Battery, Manassas Junction

confun 2.jpg
    Black Horse Cavalry, Dragoon Guards, 14th Regt., Va. Cavalry, Mounted Rifles, North Carolina, Virginia Cadets, Greyson Daredevils, Kentucky Rifle Brigade, Tennessee Sharpshooters

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

That's interesting ,never thought of Harper's or Leslie's as a reference for uniforms.

4. James B White

James B White Captain Trivia Game Winner Honored Fallen Comrade

I love all the cool stuff you find, so went looking for more, and found the drawing was from the Aug. 17, 1861 issue of Harper's, according to this page: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/Confederate_Uniforms.htm (And I hope that's a modern description because that just doesn't seem like what you'd read in Harper's.)

But then, I looked for the Aug. 17 issue, and it's not in there: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/the-civil-war.htm That page is strange. Those are not headings. The whole year of 1861 is there. To get to 1862, click on the next header. To get to Aug. 17, scroll down and find it and click on it. Here: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/civil-war-medicine.htm Front page, with thumbnails to click on for other pages, and nothing. It skips from page 518 to 522.

Well, bummer, no period article describing the uniforms, even though I looked through all the other pages. There's another set of drawings of soldiers I think, at the first link there--didn't compare them all. There are also some drawings and stories about runaway slaves in that Aug. 17 issue, and rebels bayoneting "our" wounded at Bull Run. So it wasn't a total waste of time.

[​IMG]

JPK Huson 1863 likes this.
  5. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

The sun of the south website is a fun one to browse but as you say it can be confusing at first but then it is easy.

JPK Huson 1863 and James B White like this.
  6. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

Yes! Isn't it odd? I thought it was just me and my complete and utter inability to navigate websites!! It did seem to indicate only one year then POOF! A huge collection! What a huge amount of work someone put in to that site, gee whiz.

So the article was not anywhere? Thank you! Harpers is amazing but the very worst for putting illustration and article in different spots. Fatal because then there's always something else to see- like bayoneting soldiers...... GOODNESS how charming! It would be wonderful framed, over one's fireplace mantelpiece with the Majolica and the Federal brass candlesticks.

They also were fond of artist renderings of sinking ships, if flames were involved, so much the better, flames, battle and an apparent hurricane? Keep you up at night.

James B White and nitrofd like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)