Confederate Uniforms ln Butternut.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
I think it has something do with the lack of proper dyes for the gray color in the south because of that dang yankee blockade out there on the water. Butternut was the closest color they could make.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I'm not so sure it was a specific color; it might have just been a term for "home-spun." I know the inhabitants of the Ohio Valley (southern Ohio and Indiana, northern Kentucky) often were known as "butternuts."

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
Help me out what was the butternut dye made from?
Traditionally, country people dyed things with the rind of the butternut or white walnut; the black walnut works too. It dyes wool and silk brown, and cotton and linen more of a greyish brown. One advantage, besides being cheap and available locally, was that it didn't require a mordant, so it was a one-step dyeing process. The same sort of greyish brown could have been achieved other ways too with indigenous plants, such as sumac.

Don't know what research has been done on the dyes for uniforms specifically, to tell what was most common for them; hopefully someone who knows more about military stuff will be able to answer that.

jessgettysburg1863

2nd Lieutenant
Traditionally, country people dyed things with the rind of the butternut or white walnut; the black walnut works too. It dyes wool and silk brown, and cotton and linen more of a greyish brown. One advantage, besides being cheap and available locally, was that it didn't require a mordant, so it was a one-step dyeing process. The same sort of greyish brown could have been achieved other ways too with indigenous plants, such as sumac.

Don't know what research has been done on the dyes for uniforms specifically, to tell what was most common for them; hopefully someone who knows more about military stuff will be able to answer that.
Thanks very much for your post & information, it is greatly appreciated.

jessgettysburg1863 :smile::thumbsup:.

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
I wonder if, like paint on wood, any sort of dye might be protective of the cloth? This is not my area of expertise... :O o:
Not that I can think of. If anything, poorly done dye can make cloth rot faster, by leaving in acids, etc. It's just for aesthetics, to give it another color, or to make dirt show less, that sort of thing.

Tin cup

Captain
Hi to all,

l just need some imput from the members please. A question that has intrigued me for awhile.
Can somebody please let me know the how, when & why of this colour uniform?

Thanks....................jessgettysburg1863:smile::biggrin:.
I would email your question to any of the following reputable vendors who deal with the subject...
www.wwandcompany.com
http://www.bentart.com/index.html
http://www.cjdaley.com/products.html

Let us know the answer!
Kevin Dally

jessgettysburg1863

2nd Lieutenant

jessgettysburg1863

2nd Lieutenant
I would email your question to any of the following reputable vendors who deal with the subject...
www.wwandcompany.com
http://www.bentart.com/index.html
http://www.cjdaley.com/products.html

Let us know the answer!
Kevin Dally
H

Hi Kevin,

l received a reply from cjdaley concerning Butternut uniforms. All they suggested was, go to
my public library and read up. l was happy with the fact that they replied to my email, but l
must be honest l wished they could of put a little more effort & information in their reply.

Thnaks..........................Jess.:smile:.

Tin cup

Captain
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Bit disappointed, several in out group thru the years have done business with cjdaley, had hoped to get a solid answer!:cry:

Kevin Dally