Confederate uniforms at the fall of Vicksburg.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
A Michiagn soldier describes the uniforms being worn by Confederates at the fall of Vicksburg.

Hudson Gazette, from Vicksburg- letter from a Hudson Boy, July 25, 1863, p. 2, col. 4.

In a few minutes we came into the city, and there I saw what I never expected to see again. The streets were full of rebel prisoners, in all matters of clothes, the most predominate colors of which were butternut, blue, white, yellow and grey, but all so dirty that the original color could hardly be distinguished. I can hardly believe that any attempt to uniform them has ever been made.

Some times when the men received uniforms, they continued to wear their preferred civilian clothes.

From Fremantle's Three Months in the Southern States, (describing a CS unit in Johnston's Army of Relief during the Vicksburg campaign).

"The men were good-sized, healthy, and well-clothed, but without any attempt at uniformity in colour or cut; but nearly all were dressed in either grey or brown coats and felt hats. I was told that even if a regiment was clothed in proper uniform by the Government , it would be parti-coloured again in a week, as the soldiers preferred wearing the coarse home-spun jackets and trousers made by their mothers and sisters at home. The Generals very wisely allow them to please themselves in this respect, and insist only that their arms and accoutrements being kept in proper order." (Fremantle 1864: 155):

My relation, CSO Rice, mentions how dirty they were after the fall of Vicksburg in his reminiscences.

image.jpg

A number of troops at Vicksburg wore white, undyed clothing, also known as drab.

Waul's Texas Legion, while station at Fort Pemberton, was issued undyed wool uniforms in Feb and March 1863. The 3rd Louisiana Infantry also received an issue of drab uniforms while stationed at Snydor's Mill, MS in March 1863. As Pvt. Willie H. Tunnard described them, "The regiment received a new uniform, which they were ordered to take, much against their expressed wishes. The material was very course white jean, 'Nolens volens.' The uniforms were issued to the men, few of whom would wear them, unless under compulsion, by some special order."

The 26th Louisiana Infantry was another that received uniforms of undyed wool. The regiment's commander, Col. Winchester Hall, recorded that, "About this time (March 1863) we received the fruits of the conscript levees in Louisiana. The men so raised were placed in various Louisiana commands, after receiving a white woolen uniform. The uniform was unlike any other about us and marked these men among the volunteer soldiers, who treated them with a contempt, in many cases undeserved; but so it was the white uniform was known only as an emblem of reproach wherever it appeared." Later the whole regiment was issued the same, much to the dissatisfaction of the volunteers.

While in Mississippi, late 1862, the 1st Missouri Brigade was issued new uniforms consisting of jackets of grey jean wool with blue cuff and collar, possibly from the Columbus, GA Depot or of Mississippi manufacture. The Missouri Brigade may have received undyed uniforms as well; there's a surviving drab uniform that was worn by Pvt. John T. Appler, 1st Missouri Infantry, which was issued to him during the Vicksburg Campaign.

While in Mississippi, late 1862, the 1st Missouri Brigade was issued new uniforms consisting of jackets of grey jean wool with blue cuff and collar, possibly from the Columbus, GA Depot or of Mississippi manufacture. The Missouri Brigade may have received undyed uniforms as well; there's a surviving drab uniform that was worn by Pvt. John T. Appler, 1st Missouri Infantry, which was issued to him during the Vicksburg Campaign.

Pvt. John T. Appler Uniform

Missouri History Museum Collection in St. Louis Missouri

CWMO-118.jpg

http://www.thirdmissouri.com/2012.php

Is there an accurate database or description of uniforms worn by mississippi units at Vicksburg before the fall?

I am not aware of any source that covers all uniforms worn by the Confederates in Vicksburg. With the units be assembled from several areas and command, they must have wore dissimilar clothing. This would be a great subject for a study. Perhaps we could encourage some one likeTom Arliskas author of Cadet Gary and Butternut Brown to write a book, as I know he has some information on the subject.

An example of one of these white uniforms, though now turned butternut due to aging:

Pvt. John T. Appler Uniform

Missouri History Museum Collection in St. Louis Missouri

View attachment 57893

This uniform, both jacket and trousers, is of white wool/jean and probably similar to what was issued to the Missouri Brigade in Arkansas on May 1-2, 1861 just prior to the Battle of Elk Horn Tavern ( Pea Ridge ). The uniform pictured is of a butternut or brown color and this is due to years of wear and exposure to light inside museum display

http://www.thirdmissouri.com/2012.php

White as in no attempt to dye the fabric?

I thought there were details of the men in uniform in memoirs of the citizens who survived the hunger situation during the siege... will try to find it. Saw it mentioned when the men were leaving a message about the low food supply (by a civilian there).....

A number of troops at Vicksburg wore white, undyed clothing, also known as drab.

Waul's Texas Legion, while station at Fort Pemberton, was issued undyed wool uniforms in Feb and March 1863. The 3rd Louisiana Infantry also received an issue of drab uniforms while stationed at Snydor's Mill, MS in March 1863. As Pvt. Willie H. Tunnard described them, "The regiment received a new uniform, which they were ordered to take, much against their expressed wishes. The material was very course white jean, 'Nolens volens.' The uniforms were issued to the men, few of whom would wear them, unless under compulsion, by some special order."

The 26th Louisiana Infantry was another that received uniforms of undyed wool. The regiment's commander, Col. Winchester Hall, recorded that, "About this time (March 1863) we received the fruits of the conscript levees in Louisiana. The men so raised were placed in various Louisiana commands, after receiving a white woolen uniform. The uniform was unlike any other about us and marked these men among the volunteer soldiers, who treated them with a contempt, in many cases undeserved; but so it was the white uniform was known only as an emblem of reproach wherever it appeared." Later the whole regiment was issued the same, much to the dissatisfaction of the volunteers.

May I please ask what your source is for the statement "Waul's Texas Legion, while station at Fort Pemberton, were issued undyed wool uniforms in Feb and March 1863" ?

I am interested in Waul's Legion and would like to know the source.

Back