Confederate uniforms as seen in the War Monthly magazine.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
War Monthly was a magazine from England in the 1970s. They tackled a wide range of military subjects. Issue # 2 of May 1974 tackled the Armies of the Confederacy. John Sheby wore Johnnie Reb with Malcome McGregor providing four color images of Confederate uniforms. There are also 8 photographs.

Why this was important is that in the 1970s Malcome McGregor was one of the artist that attempted to show the uniforms as they were worn as opposed to what they should have looked like. So let us look at an image form the article.
zozo.jpg

So any thoughts on the work of Malcome McGregor? In my opinion for the 1970s this was a good work.

Malcome McGregor provided other uniform images for other articles. Here is an example from War Monthly issue 36 March 1977 fro the article Memphis 1962 by Dennis Braigan.
zozo 2.jpg

Because the Civil War uniform plates by Malcome McGregor were used in War Monthly in several issues, it seems like Malcome McGregor does not get the credit he would other wise deserve. For the 1970s these illustrations are not real bad.

War Monthly was a magazine from England in the 1970s. They tackled a wide range of military subjects. Issue # 2 of May 1974 tackled the Armies of the Confederacy. John Sheby wore Johnnie Reb with Malcome McGregor providing four color images of Confederate uniforms. There are also 8 photographs.

Why this was important is that in the 1970s Malcome McGregor was one of the artist that attempted to show the uniforms as they were worn as opposed to what they should have looked like. So let us look at an image form the article.
View attachment 304660

So any thoughts on the work of Malcome McGregor? In my opinion for the 1970s this was a good work.

Malcome McGregor provided other uniform images for other articles. Here is an example from War Monthly issue 36 March 1977 fro the article Memphis 1962 by Dennis Braigan.
View attachment 304661

Because the Civil War uniform plates by Malcome McGregor were used in War Monthly in several issues, it seems like Malcome McGregor does not get the credit he would other wise deserve. For the 1970s these illustrations are not real bad.
This guy could be the twin of George Washington Custis Lee!

View attachment 304660

woner what is source is for the red pants and the extra trim on the jacket? Reminds me of Coppens Zouaves. Also, 1stLASB co.B was never issued bayonets with its M1841 rifles.

Malcome McGregor often used a photograph to make his illustration. Some people originally thought McGregor copy a photo and painted over the image, but he had the ability to nearly reproduce the photograph as a painting. This gave a realistic look to his uniform illustrations.

I love soldiers and uniforms !

Hopefully one day in Italy the magazine that do that will show some good uniforms about the Civil War.

Don Troiani and some others depict the Tiger Zouaves as wearing trousers made out of a bed ticking of white with blue stripes .

Don Troiani and some others depict the Tiger Zouaves as wearing trousers made out of a bed ticking of white with blue stripes .
That in the OP is the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion (Coppens'), not to be confused with Co. B "Tiger Rifles" of Wheat's 1st Louisiana Special Battalion.

Very nice miniature, though!

That in the OP is the 1st Louisiana Zouave Battalion (Coppens'), not to be confused with Co. B "Tiger Rifles" of Wheat's 1st Louisiana Special Battalion.

Very nice miniature, though!
Thanks for the clarification .

Reactions: AUG
I realize this thread is an old one but in reading all the comments about the artist and his using photos, I just realized what photo he DID use for the LA Zouave painting. He used this image of Francis Brownell of Ellsworth's Zouaves

1619241238844.png

And what's with the pile of uniforms (?) by his feet ?
That isn't a pile of uniforms, that is the Marshall House flag, still covered in the blood of Ellsworth and Jackson. Brownell and Lt. Stephen Stryker both had photos taken with the famous flag.

11thInfPersonStryker.jpg

Back