Confederate sub Hunley may move from North Charleston to Mount Pleasant

[QUOTE="Schwallanscher, post: 1886880, member: 18222"]that makes you about 80[/QUOTE]
Right again.

I visit Charleston about once per year and have visited all the historical venues. The logical place is Patriots Point. It has the naval draw, the room, and is already near the top of most visitors list, especially first timers. It's close to Ft. Moultrie as well as where she operated from. North Charleston is a bit out of the way and there is no room in Historic downtown Charleston. I'd love to see it at PP.

I visit Charleston about once per year and have visited all the historical venues. The logical place is Patriots Point. It has the naval draw, the room, and is already near the top of most visitors list, especially first timers. It's close to Ft. Moultrie as well as where she operated from. North Charleston is a bit out of the way and there is no room in Historic downtown Charleston. I'd love to see it at PP.
My problem with Patriot's Point is that the last time that I was there, they were seeming to have money problems and were having a hard time keeping their ships afloat. Anywhere that the Hunley ends up is going to require a large cash outlay to get it there.

My problem with Patriot's Point is that the last time that I was there, they were seeming to have money problems and were having a hard time keeping their ships afloat. Anywhere that the Hunley ends up is going to require a large cash outlay to get it there.

can't the govt in richmond provide the dosh? :whistling:

Having it "bundled" with other naval objects from different time periods would be a plus as well. In today's environment, how well is a standalone museum for something Confederate going to stand the test of time? Folks will say it is a memorial to the Lost Cause, ****, etc. etc. At PP maybe it will be seen as an educational piece about naval history in this country.

Having it "bundled" with other naval objects from different time periods would be a plus as well. In today's environment, how well is a standalone museum for something Confederate going to stand the test of time? Folks will say it is a memorial to the Lost Cause, ****, etc. etc. At PP maybe it will be seen as an educational piece about naval history in this country.

... a monument to the history of submarine warfare

And my state of Georgia will end up doing absolutely nothing to house the relics raised from the CSS Atlanta from the Savannah river a few years ago. They will all end up in Texas before it's over.

And my state of Georgia will end up doing absolutely nothing to house the relics raised from the CSS Atlanta from the Savannah river a few years ago. They will all end up in Texas before it's over.

CSS Atlanta? Do you mean CSS Georgia? CSS Atlanta hasn't been located last I heard.

didn't they have about 50 casablancas? can't keep them all - she was casablanca class i think

Precisely fifty, CVE-55-104. Henry J. Kaiser, known for mass-producing Liberty ships, made an offer to President Roosevelt to build 100 small carriers using his assembly-line construction methods and was given a contract for fifty. They were completed in less than two years, with some ships taking as little as three months from keel laying to commissioning.

The Hunley sank off the coast of Sullivan's Island, a good bit closer to Mt Pleasant than North Charleston.

ps&shapestyle=candy&mflags=MKY&imi=location-purple-n-gws&imh=220&imw=220&clat=32.763332&clon=-79.png
That was only ONE of the times she sank.
Another accidental sinking was off Fort Johnson (if memory serves) on the opposite side of the harbor.

Personally, and as a former Charlestonian, I would like to keep Hunley in a distinct area of exhibition from Patriots Point, because
1) there is already a submarine on exhibit at P.P.
2) USS Yorktown (the aircraft carrier that also has an Apollo capsule onboard) is so large that to see all three exhibits in a single visit would be difficult for many people- kids (and adults) have a short attention span!) and
3) Hunley is a distinct artifact that really, IMO, deserves it's own exhibit.

There is also potential for people to avoid Patriots Point if a Confederate vessel is also displayed there... not trying to be political, just a realist.

That was only ONE of the times she sank.
Another accidental sinking was off Fort Johnson (if memory serves) on the opposite side of the harbor.

Personally, and as a former Charlestonian, I would like to keep Hunley in a distinct area of exhibition from Patriots Point, because
1) there is already a submarine on exhibit at P.P.
2) USS Yorktown (the aircraft carrier that also has an Apollo capsule onboard) is so large that to see all three exhibits in a single visit would be difficult for many people- kids (and adults) have a short attention span!) and
3) Hunley is a distinct artifact that really, IMO, deserves it's own exhibit.

There is also potential for people to avoid Patriots Point if a Confederate vessel is also displayed there... not trying to be political, just a realist.

My feeling is to locate her in a good place easily accessible by the public. I was at Patriot Point when they raised the Hunley and there certainly was good turnout there then. If someone can come up with a better location so be it. I don't think North Charleston is a good idea but perhaps the Battery in Charleston would be a good location.

My feeling is to locate her in a good place easily accessible by the public. I was at Patriot Point when they raised the Hunley and there certainly was good turnout there then. If someone can come up with a better location so be it. I don't think North Charleston is a good idea but perhaps the Battery in Charleston would be a good location.
I volunteered at the W.L. Conservation Center way back in 2004-05 and back then there was no shortage of visitors. Every weekend the lines of visitors were backed out the door. Many of the visitors than came at that time were bussed in.I do like the renovations that have occurred at the old Naval Yard in N. Charleston since then, but yes, it is a bit out of the way for Charleston tourists- then again making the trek to Mt . Pleasant can also be very time consuming from the downtown area.

Downtown Charleston has no shortage of available space for an exhibit of the sub (as long as they do not want to incorporate the conservation center into the same building). Somewhere around the battery would certainly be ideal; preferably in the historic district or very close.
Hopefully a proper place can be agreed upon that will allow the maximum number of visitors to view the sub.

Back