Restricted Confederate statue removed from Utah college campus

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
I'd never seen that statue before either, but that is a very nice one. I disagree with both the commenters pictured in the video.

Of course it's about Confederate soldiers among other things--is it really just a coincidence that it's on the campus of a place called Dixie State College?

If the other fellow doesn't feel safe on campus, I expect it's because of the living people around him, not the bronze soldiers, and the living people will still be there when the statue's gone. The most that the removal of the statue can do, is be a litmus test to show that if he's bothered by something, there are others who will take action to support him.

When such support is a foregone conclusion, statues can come back and be appreciated as art again, and I wish we could get to that point soon in this country. One doesn't hear the descendants of people conquered by the Romans complaining about the menacing statues of Roman gods and warriors everywhere.

Actually, most of the surviving Roman statues were accidentally saved and many have noses off or otherwise mutilated. Once the Roman spear went away, so did the statues. A like fate seems to be approaching the Confederate ones.

EricAJacobson

Sergeant
BTW, we put up a statue (by "we" I mean Nashvillians in general) of Forrest south of town, and I object to it because it's so gauche. It's a cartoon travesty that comes closer to portraying Yosimite Sam, so I wouldn't object to it being taken down.

It really is quite horrendous. I suspect even Forrest would be appalled.

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
Actually, most of the surviving Roman statues were accidentally saved and many have noses off or otherwise mutilated. Once the Roman spear went away, so did the statues. A like fate seems to be approaching the Confederate ones.

No, I mean the modern Greco-Roman-themed statues and architecture of government buildings, cemeteries, and anything that needs a dramatic classical look in the US. Like the goddess of justice, the goddess of liberty, etc. So much time has passed that all the divisive emotion is gone; it's so ubiquitous we hardly notice it.

Ancient Roman coin:
Expired Image Removed

United States coin:
barber-half-dollar.png

With luck, we'll get Confederate-themed art to that point one day too, so a statue can just be one guy helping another, done in a classic military theme that people think is vaguely connected with bravery and the name of the school's region.

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Nothing says class, like fiberglass.

OK, even I have to admit Forrest's statue is appalling. I greatly admire General Forrest and think he was one of the finest combat leaders this nation has ever produced. I always said though that the statue makes him look more like the Hamburglar than a combat leader.

I love the flags. Hate the statue.

23rdYahoos

Corporal
Annual Winner
I am completely offended that the college public relations director is named Steve Johnson. Obviously the name Johnson just drags up all kinds of southern heritage connotations ... Edward Johnson, Joseph Johnson, Albert Johnson ... CSA Generals all! I am so morally offended! :wink:

EricAJacobson

Sergeant
I am completely offended that the college public relations director is named Steve Johnson. Obviously the name Johnson just drags up all kinds of southern heritage connotations ... Edward Johnson, Joseph Johnson, Albert Johnson ... CSA Generals all! I am so morally offended! :wink:

Well it's actually Johnson, Johnston, and Johnston, but still good humor!!!

diane

Retired User

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
once administrators became aware of the "people with issues with it being on our campus."

Using advanced techniques in decryption, I have determined that by "people with issues with it being on our campus", they actually mean "intolerant, academic, Liberals".