Discussion Confederate States of America $30 Bond Coupon Richmond VA Series 1864

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ewmail15

Retired User
My last binge purchase just has to be a fake. It's maybe 1" X 2", and there's no hint of wear. Only paid about $14 shipped for the bond coupon, but maybe someone here might have a definite yes/no on authenticity. Didn't have a measurement in the eBay auction, and just one photo, with now-evident use of lighting and shade to give the gullible the impression of age. Ugh.

IMG_20191009_173433.jpg

IMG_20191009_173517.jpg

IMG_20191009_173455.jpg

IMG_20191009_173509.jpg

Last edited:

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
Actually it is authentic and real.

This coupon came off of what is commonly referred to as the "Equestrian Bond". This was an 1864 $1000 interest bearing Treasury bond. Called the "Equestrian" bond due to the center vignette is that of the image of the mounted George Washington statue that sits within Virginia's capital square.

This particular bond was quite large. The primary certificate at the top along with 60 coupons underneath (yes that Sixty coupons). Each respective coupon reflected interest payments of $30 each, redeemable twice a year on Jan 1st, and July 1st of each year, running from Jan 1st 1865 through July 1st 1894. When the coupon matures one cuts it off and takes it to a treasury office and/or their representative for payment. The redeemed coupon is punch cancelled.

Majority of these commonly will be missing the first redeemable coupon dated for Jan 1865. Tends to be difficult to find one that still has all 60 coupons still fully intact. (I have one of these still fully intact) Unfortunately in more recent years there have been folks that have cut off all the coupons and selling them individually. Which separated from its original bond usually has nominal modest value at best. This habit also greatly reduces the overall collector and historical value of the bond.

Here is an image of the bond issue your coupon came off of. This image has the lower part folded under with only 15 of the 60 coupons visible.
cs-bond-782-2.jpg

Another image of a whole bond (less the one Jan 1865 coupon) it measures 17" wide and 27" long
CS-bond-A_B-325_sm.jpg

Polloco

Sergeant Major
Your opening sentence about "your purchase has to be fake" got my attention. What leads you to say so? I have one just like it (equestrian) in my closet. I just took it out and sent a picture of it to this forum yesterday. There was a thread about the printing firm of Evans and Cogswell, the printers of the bond. This firm also printed several of the Confederacy's lower denomination treasury notes. Anyway I have such a bond as yours, 40 something coupons. Did I hear you right, that just the coupons are going for $14.00 apiece? Oh, that signature "R.O. Tyler" is the son of President John Tyler. Here's hoping neither yours nor mine are fake.

Polloco

Sergeant Major
Curious, the actual bond says it was printed by the firm of Evans and Cogswell. But on the coupon the name "Archer" is present. There was a firm Archer and Daly who printed stamps and 50 cent notes. Did this firm or John Archer possibly overprint these bonds?