Confederate Sharpshooters

captaindrew

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. Skirmish drill should be part of any good infantry unit's activities. Confederate sharpshooters were generally picked out among the best soldiers in their particular regiment and maybe lumped together in one company. they weren't organized into regiments like the Berdan's in the north. Paging @Package4 His unit is in your area and it's a good one, I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you.

Old Breck

Private
Kind of a haul from the Mid-Atlantic, but Last Letter Home is portraying the 14th (Gibson's) Battalion of LA Sharpshooters.

As stated earlier, there's virtually no difference between CS Sharpshooters and line infantry as far as appearance and uniforms. Depending on the situation, tactics used may have differed. These guys weren't necessarily snipers like we think of today. The Orphan Brigade did utilize something like that though.

If you're interested in Last Letter Home, let me know; I'm organizing a CS company for the other impression being raised for that event. I'd be happy to share any information

Package4

1st Lieutenant
Yes, 2nd MD Co C, there is a sharpshooters school held at Ft Washington, though it had been cancelled last year and this year is up in the air.

Send me a note and I’ll give you more information and yes we are around the Baltimore/Washington area.

Sharpshooters did not have special uniforms, but did have special patches on the sleeve or breast. There is a beautiful Maryland specimen at the Maryland Historical Society and one of our members is a board member and as a result we have been able to study the uniforms extensively. Their collection is incredible, most of which came from the Pikesville Confederate Soldier’s Home, now Maryland State Police HQ.