Confederate Sharpshooter; Rocks could not save him, Gettysburg, July 1863

civilwarincolor

2nd Lieutenant
I saw a thread that someone wanted to see this image restored. This image is heavily damage and took a bit to get it back to a usable state. I have visited this location a few times and even met with William Frassanito during a speech he was giving a few years ago. This shows you the skill of the photographer to have created this scene.

00874.jpg

Andrew Hoge is best remembered as the “Confederate sharpshooter”. He was most likely neither a marksman, nor killed at this spot. Following the battle photographers rushed to take pictures of the war dead. Arriving late, with much of the dead already buried, they used the remaining bodies and placed them in positions that were the most dramatic. Another view of this image shows a blanket (portions still can be seen under the left shoulder) that was used to move him. The blanket also appears in other images, indicating that his body was used at various other locations.

We had a good discussion on here a while back, when we noticed an african american male in a few different pictures, one as a corpse. We surmised if indeed the same man, he could have been the photographers assistant.

We had a good discussion on here a while back, when we noticed an african american male in a few different pictures, one as a corpse. We surmised if indeed the same man, he could have been the photographers assistant.
Those are ones taken at Petersburg. I have done some of these (you can see one here: http://bit.ly/SNmM9g - WARNING THIS IS VERY GRUESOME). Other shots of this soldier show the assistant you are discussing.

The image here at Gettysburg though was of a dead soldier, I do not believe this is in dispute.

I had requested this one day at some point. I think ZUzah took a stab at it also. This is awesome! Yes, when I went to Gburg in 5th grade our tour guide told us the photo was staged.. I lost a bit of respect for photographers that day!!!

Back