Recent Find Confederate River Cannons UPDATE

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
I have posted several threads on this and yesterday was able to get the divers in the river where the CS cannons were dumped by the yankees when they got here. My buddies Mike and Ronnie made 3 dives and even though it was a great day on the river they could not find the exact spot. When Mike came up from the 2nd dive he handed up his GoPro camera with a shot of the bottom of the river at 46 feet. It told me why it was going to be hard to located. My next step is a magnetometer to help pinpoint the exact spot instead of a side scan. I have NOT given up and will continue to try and locate them as I KNOW they are down there.

IMG_20201025_111049238(1).jpg
IMG_20201025_120500991.jpg
IMG_20201025_123107921(1).jpg
IMG_20201025_162004178.jpg

Since viability is next to zero, how about an electromagnet that a diver could follow the cable down to check out and release if just junk
I had thought about that but even though we weren't suppose to Mike did bring up a few iron items and the are encrusted in limestone scale which I believe is the reason we didn't find more with the big ole magnet I bought, plus I believe that a few of them are bronze.

I had thought about that but even though we weren't suppose to Mike did bring up a few iron items and the are encrusted in limestone scale which I believe is the reason we didn't find more with the big ole magnet I bought, plus I believe that a few of them are bronze.
They've been there this long and hopefully they will be safe and sound there for a little while longer... patience Grasshopper :thumbsup:

Last edited:
They've been there this long and hopefully they will be safe and sound there for a little while longer... patience Grasshopper :thumbsup:
That won't happen as I'm to pretty to go to jail. Plus it won't be the first time and I hate to hear. "You gonna eat that cornbread boy"

I wonder if about twenty or thirty underwater flares dropped from the surface and blanket the area around the sonar contact might provide a little illumination on the site?

That is quite a depth (46 ft.) so close to the shore.
Lubliner.
It's part of the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway and much of it has been repeatedly dredged to deepen it (fortunately not this portion) our resident expert could tell you more, but he's still in the dark from Zeta's visit. A bigger problem than the depth is getting run over by a towboat pushing a bunch of barges.

Last edited:
Back