Confederate Regimental Flag Questions

KILLroy1978

Private
I have seen where Union Regiments carried a "National Color" and a "Regimental Flag" as well.
There is a famous painting that shows The 1st Texas Regiment in the cornfield at Antietam with both a Texas state flag and a ANV Battle flag.

Was it common practice for Confederate regiments to carry A state flag AND a ANV battle flag?

If so, which states did?

Which states only carried a battle flag?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen where Union Regiments carried a "National Color" and a "Regimental Flag" as well.
There is a famous painting that shows The 1st Texas Regiment in the cornfield at Antietam with both a Texas state flag and a ANV Battle flag.

Was it common practice for Confederate regiments to carry A state flag AND a ANV battle flag?

If so, which states did?

Which states only carried a battle flag?

Thanks in advance.

State flags were non-regulation. You'll still see reference to them, however, as Confederates did not always adhere strictly to regulations.

Its probably "Lone Star" by Don Troiani that you saw
http://civilwartalk.com/attachments/194672_361439853930755_776143642_o-jpg.27782/

As Winkler stated, any sort of state flag or other battle flags were non-regulation, though there were regiments that were permitted to carry separate flags along with their AoNV battle flag anyway.

The 5th Texas Infantry also carried a second flag that looked similar to the 1st national "Stars and Bars" but with one large Texas star. They carried that flag until after Antietam, when it was sent back to Texas for display at the state capitol. The 1st Texas lost both their colors in the cornfield at Antietam and they along with the 5th both carried just one AoNV battle flag for the remainder of the war.

Its probably "Lone Star" by Don Troiani that you saw
http://civilwartalk.com/attachments/194672_361439853930755_776143642_o-jpg.27782/

As Winkler stated, any sort of state flag or other battle flags were non-regulation, though there were regiments that were permitted to carry separate flags along with their AoNV battle flag anyway.

The 5th Texas Infantry also carried a second flag that looked similar to the 1st national "Stars and Bars" but with one large Texas star. They carried that flag until after Antietam, when it was sent back to Texas for display at the state capitol. The 1st Texas lost both their colors in the cornfield at Antietam and they along with the 5th both carried just one AoNV battle flag for the remainder of the war.

Texans never felt that regulations really applied to them in general. Their flag etiquette was no different. :wink:

Did North Carolina carry two flags? I've seen NC State flags and ANV battle flags but I cant recall if I seen them together. I know some south Carolina regiments carried their state flags as well.

Additionally, several states did not have officially-adopted flags at the time, so militia companies used whatever symbol they deemed representative.

Last edited:
Back