1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Confederate Private James Jefferson Land Co D 63rd TN Infantry

Discussion in 'Researching Your Civil War Ancestry' started by east tennessee roots, Jul 31, 2012.

1. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

https://www.familysearch.org/civil-war Didn't know if everyone was aware of The Civil War Records at the Family Search Site. They have Confederate pension records for North Carolina & Tennessee. ( I'm sure not all yet but there's several ) I used the pension records to get the following

James enlisted in the Confederate Army at Jonesboro, Washington County, Tennessee. on May 5,1862 age 18. He joined a local company called the " Kirby Smith Rifles " named for a Major Confederate General in East Tennessee. James mustered into Confederate Service May 13, 1862 at Knoxville where the 63rd Tennessee regiment was organized. He is listed as " present " through the roll till March-April,1863 where he is listed " sick in camp. " He is back with the regiment May-June 1863. July-Aug.1863 his record states " Absent sent to hospital in Knoxville Aug.27,1863 by order of regimental surgeon. " This begins a period of illness that will plague him in his later years. He is back with the regiment from Jan-Aug.1864. Roll for Sept.-Oct.1864 has him " absent without leave since Oct 27,1864." Nov.-Dec.1864 he is back with regiment present and " paid $ 100.00 bounty " ( probably for returning by a certain date. ) The last file card in his CMSR is dated April 11,1865 and states his " name appears on a roll of prisoners of war belonging to the Army of Northern Virginia who have this day been surrendered by Gen.Robert E. Lee, commanding said army to Lieut Gen.U.S.Grant, commanding Armies of the United States. Paroled April 9,1865. Roll dated Hd.Qrs.McComb"s Brigade,April 11,1865. J.J. was one of only 28 enlisted men left of the 63rd. One of only 7 left of Company D. Until his health failed him, James was a brakeman on the East Tennessee railroad.

The following is a transcription of James' pension application to the Sate of Tennessee. He filed Feb.21.1905.He was " accepted " May 1,1906. He states his full name. His address at the time was Rural Route # 1 Afton, Greene County, Tennessee. That in the " late war between the states " in the process of the discharge of his duty as a member of Company D 63rd Regt Volunteer Infantry. ( He underlines Confederate States rather than United States ) he " contracted the following disease or disabilities to wit " Rheumatism. To the question " In what County, State, and year were you born ? " Wilkes, North Carolina 1844. James is next asked to tell when he enlisted, and to tell what command and to name regimental and company officers he served under.[FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit] " I enlisted 1861 latter part, 63rd regiment, Col.Fain, Bushrod Johnson's Brigade, Capt.A.A. Blair, 1st Lt. James McCollum, 2nd Lt. Carter, 3rd Lt Wilson " [B][FONT=inherit][B][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit] He is asked if his " wound or disability is permanent and did he contract it in service ? "[/FONT][/I][/FONT][/B][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit] Contracted in service which is permanent [B][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit] " Were you incapacitated by said wound or disease ?[/FONT][/I][/FONT][/B][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit] " I was incapacitated five months while a soldier. [B][FONT=inherit] James was examined by[B][FONT=inherit] Dr.George A McClain.[/FONT][/B] Under oath he makes the following statement : [B][FONT=inherit] " Rheumatism with enlargement of joints of arm and knee and ankle of left leg. This claimant can walk but leans heavily on his staff. Claimant says he has periods of several weeks continuous in which he has to have the aid of another person to dress him and undress him. The old soldier is not able to perform manual labor for the support of his family and is in destitute circumstances. He is worthy and needs aid as his physical condition is bad. "[/FONT][/B][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/I][/FONT]

Two of James old Rebel Comrades vouched for him in statements they made before the Washington County, Tenn Courts 1st is Joseph P. Lyle : " I was in the same company with the applicant and knew him well from the time he came to the company till the 2nd of April,1865 when our lines were broken and I was captured. He was a good and faithfull soldier and was sick at Cumberland Gap. I always understood he was with the company at the surrender. " Feb.18,1906.

Next was James B. Humpherys who states he was " a private in Company D 63rd Tennessee Infantry that James Jefferson Land was with the Company at Strawberry Plains, Jefferson County, Tenn. when I went to the company. We were ordered to Chickamauga and then ordered up through Knoxville, Tenn. and then ordered into Virginia at Petersburg till the close of the war. Said Land was paroled out and said Land was a good soldier during the rebellion and that said Land was sick five or six months while in the army with a fever and further states James Jefferson Land was paroled out of the army of the Confederates.
    [FONT=inherit][/FONT]
    [FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit][I][FONT=inherit] Filed Feb.21,1905[SIZE=12px]
    [/SIZE] Greene County, Tennessee[/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT]

FourLeafClover and CSA Today like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ExNavyPilot

ExNavyPilot 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the example We have that website listed in the "Helpful Online...Links" thread in this forum, but your post provides a great demonstration of the potential value of the Family Search site. I'll have to check it out more often.

4. 5fish

5fish 1st Lieutenant

Here's something.... http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/a/n/Glenn-Edward-Landjr-tn/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0151.html

Green County, Tn......
    Among the arrivals in 1848 were James Land, Giles M. King and E. D. Jackson, who came from Ohio. Mr. Land entered land on the south half of section 11, and improved a farm. About 1860 he sold out and removed to Cadiz. He died in Monroe in 1881. Mr. King settled upon the southeast quarter of section 2. He lived here until 1863, when he removed to Monroe, where he now lives. He is a carpenter and joiner. Mr. Jackson located on the southwest quarter of section 12. He improved a portion of the land and lived there about twelve years, when he removed to Monroe. He now lives in Illinois.

east tennessee roots likes this.
  5. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

I believe that's a site my oldest son started some time back. This James came to Tennessee about 1844 with his mother and 2 sisters. When I began researching some 20-25 years ago, I was convinced he was my 2 x great-grandfather. Same first name as my great-grandfather. Turned out they were 1st cousins !

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)