Confederate prisoners at Camp Douglas

We’re here finally.

45C45AD7-F83B-4FA4-BA07-108F359C4961.jpeg

Thanks for putting these all together. My great-grandfather's brother died there, and so did his cousin. Their names are both on the Confederate memorial in Oak Woods Cemetery. Both of them died of disease--one in January and one in March. It was simply a hell hole at the end of the war. Other prisons get more "press," but Douglas went from being reasonably well-run to the seventh level of hell during the winter of 1864-65.
❤️

IMG_3192.JPG

I went to see your boys, @Nathanb1 . We paid our respects to them and all those laid to rest there.

It was a beautiful morning. The grounds look well maintained, and the monument itself is in decent shape. The plaques with the names could use a little love, but otherwise all is well. Peaceful.

I tucked the roses on that first ledge. You can hardly see them as one drives by, so I bet they'll stay there undisturbed for a while.

Had a thought. If anyone is interested in visiting Oak Woods Cemetery to see Confederate Mound, please feel free to message me. Either here via PM or email me via my blog at 6am Stitching.

I'd be happy to give you thoughts on navigating your way first to the cemetery itself and then through it to find the grave site.

Those posed photographs were clearly made on arrival, before they were subjected to the deplorable conditions therein. Here is another image of Camp Douglas, where it is standing room only. Many of those men were transferred to Rock Island due to overcrowding conditions.
Confederate POWs Camp Douglas.jpg

I went to see your boys, @Nathanb1 . We paid our respects to them and all those laid to rest there.

It was a beautiful morning. The grounds look well maintained, and the monument itself is in decent shape. The plaques with the names could use a little love, but otherwise all is well. Peaceful.

I tucked the roses on that first ledge. You can hardly see them as one drives by, so I bet they'll stay there undisturbed for a while.

Bless you! I doubt any Sanders ever made it there, so until (if) I do, you've helped me scratch that off my bucket list. Those names in the family bible won't haunt me quite so much!

Back