Confederate POWs at James River landing?

chubachus

First Sergeant
Landing_on_James_River%2C_1864-5_-_NARA_-_524621.jpg

Can anyone ID any of the men wearing lighter clothing in the foreground or on the pontoon as Confederates? I find it really interesting that the groups of unarmed men on the pontoon and in the foreground look really like they are in tightly controlled lines as POWs might be. Perhaps though the men not wearing Union uniforms are simply a rowdy bunch of teamsters, cooks, or employed in some other type of civilian job or there was simply a strict steamer boarding process for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, don't believe I've seen this one before. It looks like some of those men lined up in the foreground to the right could just be in their shirtsleeves, hence the lighter coloring. Then again, most of them are wearing slouch hats; however, a number of the Federal troops resting behind them are also wearing slouch hats. The guys standing to the left in the foreground appear as though they may be wearing blue uniforms, but its still quite hard to tell.

Thanks for posting, don't believe I've seen this one before. It looks like some of those men lined up in the foreground to the right could just be in their shirtsleeves, hence the lighter coloring. Then again, most of them are wearing slouch hats; however, a number of the Federal troops resting behind them are also wearing slouch hats. The guys standing to the left in the foreground appear as though they may be wearing blue uniforms, but its still quite hard to tell.
It is hard to tell, but some of those men look black, while other look like they have on kepis. There is also one guy in front of the lighter horse who seems to be wears a foil helmet.
It might just be a work crew, lined up for lunch?

It is hard to tell, but some of those men look black, while other look like they have on kepis. There is also one guy in front of the lighter horse who seems to be wears a foil helmet.
It might just be a work crew, lined up for lunch?
I think the brims of their hats are just shading their faces.... And I'm guessing that the guy next to the horse might be wearing a kepi or forage cap with a tarred waterproof cover... so sort of reflective. The sunshine appears to be reflecting off of the caps of several other men standing and sitting around there as well.

Boy I don't know. The landing looks like it could be Belle Plain? That's where the famous Punch Bowl was, around a gazillion Confederate prisoners were encamped there en route elsewhere.

I'm not sure the men are black civilians- it's not a very clear image and a lot of men could be perceived as black? I know this is a thread from 2016, came across it while looking for something else.

I'd be inclined to go with @chubachus take? The men are closely in rank and another group is on the pontoon bridge- enlarging the image, there are a few uniforms and some awfully pale necks and arms.
Landing snip of men 2.jpg

There seem to be officers flanking the column-
Landing snip of men.jpg

Group on the pontoon. You can't see where black civilian employees would be marched in formation?

I'm not seriously arguing, there's just some indications these could be Confederate prisoners. It's only a theory but for what it's worth I'm pretty convinced a LOT of these old treasures were taken for a reason, you know? A photographer on hand might feel Confederate prisoners being transported worth the effort.
Landing snip on bridge.jpg

The elephant on the river is the pile of what looks like muskets, This is a Brady photo from 1864 if that helps plus if you look in the background there is a massive encampment with lots of white tents and building.
james river.jpg

Last edited:
The elephant on the river is the pile of what looks like muskets, This is a Brady photo from 1864 if that helps plus if you look in the background there is a massive encampment with lots of white tents and building.
View attachment 320415

One thing that we as members of CWT is that this photo was taken along time ago . 155 years ago! We were not there, but only one can imagine what the true answers are.

One thing that we as members of CWT is that this photo was taken along time ago . 155 years ago! We were not there, but only one can imagine what the true answers are.
I agree on the long time ago but we as members of CWT have figured out harder things then these one. Plus Brady was pretty good at labeling his photos so there is a record or caption somewhere. Plus I still think those are muskets in that pile :D

I agree on the long time ago but we as members of CWT have figured out harder things then these one. Plus Brady was pretty good at labeling his photos so there is a record or caption somewhere. Plus I still think those are muskets in that pile :D

I went and got my wife’s powerful magnifying glasses and looked at the photo up close and I do agree with you that there is muskets in that pile but also some swords.

Does the man with no shirt have his hands bound behind his back? Im assuming the shorter men are standing on a lower level than others? Or are they teens or children?
View attachment 320339

He does look bound, no? Good catch. He could be just be standing with his arms behind his back but this guys's arms look extremely awkward for that.

You know, these old treasures frequently contain images that just, plain look odd. There's one somewhere, a line of musicians. Three on the end are so small they look like hobbits but it's all part of the same line of men, no children, no hobbits- an expert could probably explain why perspectives are sometimes so off with the old cameras. Wonder if that's the case here?

Last edited:
View attachment 320415

Missed that, too! Seduzal sees swords, too- interesting, thank you! It's not exactly foolproof proof but I can't see any other reason for an unkempt pile of firearms and swords than ' prisoners '.

Yes, the photo is of Belle Plain. Here is a similar Matthew Brady photo. Note the same packet-type boats to right of wharf as in the OP.
And Yes, your photo is most probably of Confederate prisoners being transported north.

In May 1864, Union planners searching hurriedly for a supply base in the Fredericksburg area chose the stretch of shoreline known as Belle Plain. Situated on the south side of Potomac Creek near its junction with the Potomac River, Belle Plain offered many logistic advantages: it was closer to Fredericksburg than were the nearby Aquia Creek landings, it did not share Aquia's dependence upon a connecting railroad, and it had hosted Federal supply operations earlier in the war. Thus Union forces reoccupied Belle Plain by May 10, 1864 and on May 12 constructed the first of two pontoon wharves there: one on the west side of Whipsawason's Point, one-half mile east of (downstream from) modern Belle Plain Landing ("upper wharf"), and another ("lower wharf") at Pratt's Point, a mile downstream from Whipsawason's.

1565716538555.png

Matthew Brady's photo and your photo show the Union supply base (area known as "Lower Wharf") along the Potomac River at Belle Plain, VA. on about May 16, 1864 in support of General U. S. Grant's Overland Campaign. The photo depicts the US Military Railroad Construction Corps (USMRCC) built lower wharf/dock made of pontoon construction. It shows army supply wagons on the wharf being loaded onto ships to furnish goods to the Union army scattered throughout the area. In addition to a number of supply tents seen in the foreground, ships are anchored waiting provisions. By May 23, 1864 the Belle Plain depot was being evacuated as Grant's army moved further south, necessitating the relocation of the Union supply base to Port Royal, Va.

Does the man with no shirt have his hands bound behind his back? Im assuming the shorter men are standing on a lower level than others? Or are they teens or children?
View attachment 320339

I had not seen this photo before, but that man jumped out to me immediately as he certainly apears to me to be shirtless, which is extremely rare to be seen. It sort of looks to me like the four men (six men ahead) may be shirtless as well. They seem to be self consciously clutching themselves as well.

Many of these men are in shirtsleeves, and of these several appear to have rolled up sleeves and even a few appear to be in sleeveless shirts.

This photo is incredible and I am glad this came back up because this will require a good of examination!

Yes, the photo is of Belle Plain. Here is a similar Matthew Brady photo. Note the same packet-type boats to right of wharf as in the OP.
And Yes, your photo is most probably of Confederate prisoners being transported north.

In May 1864, Union planners searching hurriedly for a supply base in the Fredericksburg area chose the stretch of shoreline known as Belle Plain. Situated on the south side of Potomac Creek near its junction with the Potomac River, Belle Plain offered many logistic advantages: it was closer to Fredericksburg than were the nearby Aquia Creek landings, it did not share Aquia's dependence upon a connecting railroad, and it had hosted Federal supply operations earlier in the war. Thus Union forces reoccupied Belle Plain by May 10, 1864 and on May 12 constructed the first of two pontoon wharves there: one on the west side of Whipsawason's Point, one-half mile east of (downstream from) modern Belle Plain Landing ("upper wharf"), and another ("lower wharf") at Pratt's Point, a mile downstream from Whipsawason's.

View attachment 320549

Matthew Brady's photo and your photo show the Union supply base (area known as "Lower Wharf") along the Potomac River at Belle Plain, VA. on about May 16, 1864 in support of General U. S. Grant's Overland Campaign. The photo depicts the US Military Railroad Construction Corps (USMRCC) built lower wharf/dock made of pontoon construction. It shows army supply wagons on the wharf being loaded onto ships to furnish goods to the Union army scattered throughout the area. In addition to a number of supply tents seen in the foreground, ships are anchored waiting provisions. By May 23, 1864 the Belle Plain depot was being evacuated as Grant's army moved further south, necessitating the relocation of the Union supply base to Port Royal, Va.

Thank you!! I'd seen this image around a 100 times and it never occurred to me it was of prisoners- NOW to go back an see if any other images of the wharfs include them. The ' landing ' photos are some of my all-time favorites a. ships b. pontoons c. there's always a LOT going on. Belle Plain, City Point, Varina, White House Landing- there are more and all of them some of the most fascinating, enlightening photos of the war.

I had not seen this photo before, but that man jumped out to me immediately as he certainly apears to me to be shirtless, which is extremely rare to be seen. It sort of looks to me like the four men (six men ahead) may be shirtless as well. They seem to be self consciously clutching themselves as well.

Many of these men are in shirtsleeves, and of these several appear to have rolled up sleeves and even a few appear to be in sleeveless shirts.

This photo is incredible and I am glad this came back up because this will require a good of examination!

So they do seem to be shirtless and in shirt sleeves, right? Nice catch that they seem awfully self conscious - think I'll download the larger tif and see if there's a chance anything by way of regimental ID's remain.

View attachment 320339
I think he's just holding his hands behind his back. I say that because no other person I see around him appears to be bound. It would be odd it he were the only one. Just my observation.

Hmm...could be black laborers/longshoremen shaping up for assignment?

One suspects that if these were actual Confederate prisoners that the original photo would have been labeled as such.

I'm not sure labels have always been available. Some government web sites housing these collections welcome ID's and corrections.

Just ran into mention of prisoner exchanges taking place at Belle Plain. Yes, by 1864 those had ceased but the point is that Belle Plain was a huge 'hub' for prisoners, wounded and supplies. It was so busy a U-shaped wharf was implemented so wagons could just transition around it without having to stop and wait for another to get off.

There were a lot of Confederate prisoners there. This is from one of the Sanitary Commission Bulletins. Going with Confederate prisoners on this image.

belle plain san comm.JPG

Last edited:
Back