Confederate Populist Backlash

But we can be sure it was Southern slave owners who hypocritically impregnated African American woman but would hang an African American man who expressed interest in their daughters.
Leftyhunter

Or if their daughter express interest in a black slave. :wink:

The populist backlash may have been deflated by paying pensions to veterans, widows, orphan children of soldiers.

The populist backlash may have been deflated by paying pensions to veterans, widows, orphan children of soldiers.

In the CSA don't really expect it to crop up until the 1890s. It's been stated in this thread that the 1891 Confederate Presidential Election may be the first populist one. I proposed that Benjamin Tillman be the one to fill that role.

So we have many names we can throw in for Confederate Populists:

Benjamin Tillman
Thomas E. Watson
James K. Vardaman
Jim Hogg
Henry W. Grady
Thomas C. Hindman (he was a fire-eater beforehand, but during Reconstruction in OTL he flipped the script and became a reformist. I can see an older alternate-version of him supporting possible abolition if it got him votes)

In the CSA don't really expect it to crop up until the 1890s. It's been stated in this thread that the 1891 Confederate Presidential Election may be the first populist one. I proposed that Benjamin Tillman be the one to fill that role.

If old 'Pitchfork Ben' had his life follow anything close to his OTL life then yeah I could see him being a hardcore populist. The man apparently rode around like an old school overseer taking a bullwhip to his sharecroppers!

If old 'Pitchfork Ben' had his life follow anything close to his OTL life then yeah I could see him being a hardcore populist. The man apparently rode around like an old school overseer taking a bullwhip to his sharecroppers!
Well, thanks to the tumor he would have still lost his left eye.

We can have him in an incident or two putting down escaped slave rebels on the Carolina Coast. Or maybe an uprising of Saulists in the Edgecomb County area.

And since we can still have the Farmers Alliances, he can still champion for the common man.

Back