Confederate Naval Batteries: 1/600 Models

Tut11

Sergeant
upload_2018-1-29_12-25-8.jpeg

I'm in the process of developing five Confederate batteries models at 1/600 scale approximately, Much thanks to Rebelatsea and CWT for research information. These are work in progress and thought others would like to see them. Will post updates here. Enjoy.

upload_2018-1-29_12-25-32.jpeg

upload_2018-1-29_12-26-9.jpeg

upload_2018-1-29_12-26-54.jpeg

upload_2018-1-29_12-29-11.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 175078
I'm in the process of developing five Confederate batteries models at 1/600 scale approximately, Much thanks to Rebelatsea and CWT for research information. These are work in progress and thought others would like to see them. Will post updates here. Enjoy.

View attachment 175079

View attachment 175080

View attachment 175081

View attachment 175082
Great to see the Batteries in 3D, I haven't got anywhere near modelling all the ships I have plans of , let alone these. Well done.

Very Very Nice!!!
and I thought I was the only one on here who works in creating their own "miniatures" I'm almost done with my 1:24 scale post bellum Victorian home including hand making the 2 1/2 -3" figures who reside in it.

Great to see the Batteries in 3D, I haven't got anywhere near modelling all the ships I have plans of , let alone these. Well done.

Thanks at rebelatsea , without your drawings couple of these wouldn't have been possible. More on the way.

My condolence's to you on your late friend and wish to thank him also posthumously.
Thank you, Ben succumbed to a lung ailment brought on by his work as a metallurgist for the US Air force. He was not only an avid researcher into the CSN, he built his own working replica firearms - usually rare types, restored and collected old cars, and was a railroad fan too. He never used a computer - I don't think he ever had one.
Unfortunately he didn't leave a will, so the State (Georgia) dealt with his collections. The museum at Columbus bid for some of the papers, I have most of what he sent me over the years, and two other friends also recovered some. The rest of his collections has gone who knows where.

Thank you, Ben succumbed to a lung ailment brought on by his work as a metallurgist for the US Air force. He was not only an avid researcher into the CSN, he built his own working replica firearms - usually rare types, restored and collected old cars, and was a railroad fan too. He never used a computer - I don't think he ever had one.
Unfortunately he didn't leave a will, so the State (Georgia) dealt with his collections. The museum at Columbus bid for some of the papers, I have most of what he sent me over the years, and two other friends also recovered some. The rest of his collections has gone who knows where.

Glad you recovered some his papers as many as possible. Have you digitized them yet? @rebelatsea Impressive he made replica firearms, nice. Got some photo's of them? What ever happened to his railroad stuff, hope you got some of it.

Y'all here's #4 Confederate floating battery, work in progress. The 1cm flags are killing me for detail, I can't seem to print them small enough for the models to turn out right so I just hand paint them. If there is anyone whom can make me some sets of 1cm confederate flags I would be glad to pay for them. My printer won't do them so small. Here's a pattern for them:
upload_2018-2-4_7-53-6.jpeg
upload_2018-2-4_7-54-6.jpeg upload_2018-2-4_7-55-2.jpeg upload_2018-2-4_7-56-15.jpeg

Working on the floating battery with the hospital which will take some time. That will be the 5th of the series and will take a image of it when it's built and prepped for oil with details like this one above. I have 1mm cannon balls for detail, the non hospital one which is image #2 above has been detailed out and waiting for drying. Basically Image #1, #2, #3, are ready for the finished display. I figured I wound use blue crushed velvet for the wood base to display the whole collection on. Should look nice with the engraved plates for each one. Will post another soon, that hospital will be interesting to scale off and add to the main battery, without the images and information from CWT and @rebelatsea, (Ben), these couldn't have been made. Much appreciation!
Expired Image Removed

Y'all here's #4 Confederate floating battery, work in progress. The 1cm flags are killing me for detail, I can't seem to print them small enough for the models to turn out right so I just hand paint them. If there is anyone whom can make me some sets of 1cm confederate flags I would be glad to pay for them. My printer won't do them so small. Here's a pattern for them:
View attachment 175833
View attachment 175835 View attachment 175836 View attachment 175838

Working on the floating battery with the hospital which will take some time. That will be the 5th of the series and will take a image of it when it's built and prepped for oil with details like this one above. I have 1mm cannon balls for detail, the non hospital one which is image #2 above has been detailed out and waiting for drying. Basically Image #1, #2, #3, are ready for the finished display. I figured I wound use blue crushed velvet for the wood base to display the whole collection on. Should look nice with the engraved plates for each one. Will post another soon, that hospital will be interesting to scale off and add to the main battery, without the images and information from CWT and @rebelatsea, (Ben), these couldn't have been made. Much appreciation!
Expired Image Removed
Glad you recovered some his papers as many as possible. Have you digitized them yet? @rebelatsea Impressive he made replica firearms, nice. Got some photo's of them? What ever happened to his railroad stuff, hope you got some of it.
No, I've filed them as they are , hand written and hand drawn. He never sent me anything of his fire arms work other than to tell me what he had done. Any railroad stuff got disposed of with the rest of the collections.,

Well.... here's the battery with the hospital and is work in progress. Those windows and doors will be a challenge to put windows and frames on. The windows are about 3mm sq. so it will be a little tight, might just do clear plastic for them. I have ordered 18mm cannons for this and will build the cannon racks by scratch to match the images from the historical drawings. I will put miniature train track iron on the front as per information. This is the fifth one in the set and of course the hardest to build at 1/600 scale approx. Thoughts on this one ?

upload_2018-2-12_13-18-9.jpeg upload_2018-2-12_13-18-47.jpeg upload_2018-2-12_13-19-26.jpeg

Back