Restricted Confederate Monument Vandalized

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The women of the UDC were unsuccessful in getting an Aunt Jemina style monument in Washington, D. C. to celebrate the loyalty of black women in being slave mammies, so they started lobbying for windows honoring two of the military leaders of the Confederacy as spiritual leaders. The windows were installed in 1953, just before the momentous Brown v. Board of Education decision of 1954.

I don't know that we need to continue to honor that tradition of reinforcing Confederate concepts of white supremacy in the National Cathedral, where state funerals of presidents and all kinds of national prayer events are held. The Dean has no specific proposals, but I believe suggestions have been made to remove and then feature the windows in an historical exhibit, but not to continue to hold up 2 Confederate leaders whose foremost mission was the ongoing enslavement of others as "exemplary Christian gentlemen." I would agree with the Dean.

We have to remember a stained glass window is not a history book. What it depicts is what the church at the current time believes is important to see or emulate.

While it is true that in the south in the 1860s slavery was not considered to be against the teachings of Jesus, such a view is not common today, and the church of today probably does not want to portray the value of fighting for an entity dedicated to preserving slavery as something worthwhile. Here we're talking about what is acceptable today, not what was acceptable in the 1860s.

This is a decision for the church to make based on what they believe are values people today should emulate.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...al-of-confederate-soldier-statue--115137.html

Calls for removal of Confederate Statue in Leesburg VA. That's hitting close to home. The one in Winchester is in front of the 'old' Courthouse which is now the Civil War Museum so they can't use the 'government building' argument but it IS in a very public place on the downtown walking mall.

There is one in front of the Courthouse in Clarke County but the African American population there is so tiny I don't know if there will be much of a stir over that. There is another one in the Old Chapel Cemetery but that is mostly dedicated to the members of the Stonewall Brigade. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it being in that particular location.

As I'm not a resident of Leesburg, it's none of my business what they do with the monument, but if somehow they were to ask me, I would tell them that moving the monument would not be something I would advise. Instead, I would advise them to interpret the monument and use it as a tool for education.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
That's kind of an odd way to put it. The Dean of the Cathedral is suggesting the replacement of two windows that have Confederate flags in them. The windows are of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. They were placed in the Cathedral after a lobbying campaign by the UDC in 1953.

Seems like since it's the Church's property, they can do what they want to.

I think putting them in a museum with proper interpretation depicting the history of how and why they were placed to begin with, along with why they were removed, would be appropriate.

Mint Julep

Sergeant
Confederate history shouldn't and can't be eradicated. However, I wonder if we're not witnessing the beginning of the end of public glorification of the Lost Cause?

More precisely the erasing or rewriting of history. There is a push by some to demonize many and over emphasize and promote the accomplishments of others, this according to one NPS ranking official.

Malingerer

2nd Lieutenant
More precisely the erasing or rewriting of history. There is a push by some to demonize many and over emphasize and promote the accomplishments of others, this according to one NPS ranking official.
"...some to demonize many"? And I'm especially interested in the promotion of and "the over emphasis and accomplishments of others". Could you be a tad more specific?

diane

Retired User
The women of the UDC were unsuccessful in getting an Aunt Jemina style monument in Washington, D. C. to celebrate the loyalty of black women in being slave mammies, so they started lobbying for windows honoring two of the military leaders of the Confederacy as spiritual leaders. The windows were installed in 1953, just before the momentous Brown v. Board of Education decision of 1954.

I don't know that we need to continue to honor that tradition of reinforcing Confederate concepts of white supremacy in the National Cathedral, where state funerals of presidents and all kinds of national prayer events are held. The Dean has no specific proposals, but I believe suggestions have been made to remove and then feature the windows in an historical exhibit, but not to continue to hold up 2 Confederate leaders whose foremost mission was the ongoing enslavement of others as "exemplary Christian gentlemen." I would agree with the Dean.

I listened to the Dean's explanation of why he wanted to do this on NPR - seemed a reasonable argument and he wasn't in any way screaming about it. Just thought it was time. The local Catholic church has a mini-version of that problem - the stained glass window depicting kneeling Mission Indians and Father Serra blessing them. This window isn't visible from the street so I suppose it's folks inside the church want it replaced. The Indians around here didn't even know it existed - none are Catholic!

Mint Julep

Sergeant
The Beauregard Statue was vandalized today at New Orleans

635710909711903683-20150628-071522-resized-3.jpg

Meanwhile, a suspect (who has already confessed) has been arrested for the vandalism of the Jefferson Davis statue in Richmond. Interestingly, if the cleanup takes more than $1000, this will be a felony case...

I wonder if it was worth it.

Allie

Captain
Sadly, that may or may not be connected to current events - I became aware of how common arson against churches is when we had three churches (including one black church) set on fire in the same day in the neighborhood of the small town of Brownsville TN earlier this year. I would want to know how many churches in general and black churches in particular were burned in an ordinary week before drawing conclusions. I'm thinking the numbers would shock most people.

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
Maybe whoever was trying to make this statement should have affixed it in a way that it didn't look like it was being dragged along the ground. Unless that was the point.
Makes it look like Shaw and his men captured it. But if it's just a flag tied on, better than spray paint--easier to clean up. If only all the monument vandalism was that simple to repair.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
But perhaps a better way to go would be to ADD a couple windows with Union figures, say Shaw of the 54th and maybe Harriet Tubman. That way worshippers can be reminded of the costs of war and pray mightily that nothing like this ever happens again.

But that would cost MONEY - it's always easier (and cheaper!) to just destroy something, especially if it's meaningful to somebody else and not to you!

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
They found who did it in Boston. He actually confessed, and as several people predicted, he did it to protest the Confederate flag. And they did that after part of a confederate flag burning ceremony. No word on whether the vandal was arrested. He actually got selfies with his deed:

Expired Image Removed

R. Alex Raines

First Sergeant
They found who did it in Boston. He actually confessed, and as several people predicted, he did it to protest the Confederate flag. And they did that after part of a confederate flag burning ceremony. No word on whether the vandal was arrested. He actually got selfies with his deed:

Expired Image Removed
I'm a bit confused. What do you think constitutes vandalism in this photo? At most, I see some littering.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
There have been hate crimes against black churches in Harrisburg too, not to mention a few months ago a young woman right here- few miles away had a cross burned on her lawn. I seriously thought that would make national news. It did not. This nationwide reaction is just the end of a long burning fuse. If the SC church murders were seen as committed by a kook acting on archaic bigotry and prejudice only he had dreamt up in his head our nation's focus would still be with those who had suffered yet another mass shooting. It is time all citizens have a stake in the presentation of History in this country.

You know, as the segment of the population interested in History and understanding the genesis of so much of these awful events in a way the rest of the country does not- there's a chance here to contribute a tiny amount to genuine Peace, some new direction where black America's story is entirely told, contributions in blood to this country recognized, Civil War monuments erected with their stories told. Not sure it'll happen because it means letting go of animosity. This is all insane. It amounts to re-fighting a war which ended 150 years ago, white v black, instead of recognizing men who were present in an historical event shaping the course of our nation. What transpired, what was at stake and why- those are the important lessons. They are lost, completely lost unless there are additions to these monuments- and bet the defacing ends. You can't hand out textbooks after yanking out most of the chapters.