Restricted Confederate Monument Georgetown, Delaware

Confederate Monument

Georgetown, Delaware

by
Norman Dasinger Jr​

It was installed in 2007 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV), on property owned by the Nutter D. Marvel Carriage Museum - a private, nonprofit facility run by the local historical society. The granite monument features a Confederate Battle flag and the name of more than 95 Delawareans, both soldiers and civilians, who supported the Confederate effort. Ruth Briggs King a Delaware legislator for Georgetown, in an August 18, 2017 article in the Cape-Gazette, said “It should be noted the current monument was erected and paid for by private organizations.” James Bowden, president of the historical society and a descendant of a Union soldier said in 2019 “[it] is not an endorsement of slavery. History is history – good, bad or indifferent.”

In a July 27, 2019 article for the American Renaissance, Matt Bittle, wrote, “For years, the Georgetown Historical Society received state funding . . . State Senator Trey Pardee moved to remove the proposed allocation to the group. ‘I find it offensive that the flag of our great state is flown at the same height as the Confederate battle flag.” In the same article, Brian Pettyjohn, a local legislative member had a different opinion. He stated, “I’ve talked to a lot of African Americans in Delaware and they realize that it is a monument recognizing the people that fought. . . It’s a dangerous road to travel when funding for museums is based on what people want to remember.” Per this article, Delaware Governor John Carney supported the withholding of state funding for the historical society.

William H.H. Ross is included on the list of names carved into the shrine. He served as governor from 1851-1855. During his term he played a major role in reviving efforts to extend rail service to the southern portion of the state. Delaware has preserved his pre Civil War house in Seaford, and visitors can visit the site and see one of the most successful agricultural enterprises that once existed in all of the old blue hen state. After one of his sons joined the Confederate Army, Ross left for England. While there he wrote, “… hoping that the American people may same day return to their reason . . . [when] I may return in safety to spend the remainder of my days in a country ruined by the madness and fanatics of its own people.” He remained in self exile until the conclusion of the War Between the States.

In that same previously mentioned 2017 Cape-Gazette article, Louise Henry, Lower Sussex NAACP president remarked, “it has become increasingly clear the country’s Confederate monuments are no longer testaments to the past but idols of a white nationalist future. . . They exist only as a divisive threat to the greatness of America.”

1616449161537.png