Confederate Memorial Monument at Shiloh

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
The Confederate Memorial Monument at Shiloh is unique in style and symbolism that is too often ignored or not noticed by National Park visitors who are driving through the park and checking off the points of interest and Tour Stops. The monument was erected in 1917 through the dedicated efforts of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and was one of the last erected in the peak time of Confederate Memorials. I have decided to use my photos, instead of others which are far better efforts, since this is how I view this remarkable monument dedicated to the private Confederate sodlier.

1568135504934.png

To desipher the symbols I posted the National Park Service's explanation.
Regards
David
This monument, designed and sculptured by Frederick C. Hibbard, was erected in 1917 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of all Southern troops who fought in the battle.

In the center of the massive pedestal is carved the bust of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, the Confederate commander who was killed during the afternoon of the first day.

At the extreme right, the figure in front represents the Confederate infantryman who has snatched up his flag in defiance of the Northern army. The figure to his rear is the artilleryman, who is calm as he appears to gaze through the smoke of battle.

To the left, the figure in front represents the cavalryman. His hand is spread, indicating frustration. He is eager to help, but cannot penetrate the heavy undergrowth. The figure back of the cavalryman represents the officers of the Confederate army. He has his head bowed in submission to the order to cease firing when, it seemed, had it not been given the first day, there might have been a Confederate victory.

The central group represents a "Defeated Victory." The front figure, representing the Confederacy, is surrendering the laurel wreath of victory to Death, on the left, and Night, on the right. Death came to their commander and Night brought reinforcements to the enemy, and the battle was lost.

The panel of heads on the right represents the spirit of the first day. How hopefully and fearlessly the 11 young Confederates rushed into battle! The panel of heads on the left represents the second day of the battle and the sorrow of the men, now reduced to 10, over the victory so nearly won and so unexpectedly lost.

https://www.nps.gov/resources/place.htm?id=79

This is a close up of the frustrated Calvaryman who's gesture witht the left hand expresses his feelings with a depiction of an officer who is ashamed of his actions and leadership. I personally believe the offcer corps perfromed well overall as this was their baptism of combat.
Regards
David

1568141643981.png

This is the side panel showing the proud uplifted head of the 11 soldiers, representing the 11 Confederate states, going into battle expecting victory.
Regards
David

1568146670156.png

And this is the corresponding panel of 10 soldiers, the missing man effect, after the battle of tired defeated soldiers who had expected victory

1568147194056.png

Thanks @Ole Miss !

I've always enjoyed that monument.

is too often ignored or not noticed by National Park visitors who are driving through the park and checking off the points of interest and Tour Stops.

You are right.

There is so much symbolism !

Possibly more than any other memorial in the Shiloh National Military Park.

Last edited:
Back