Confederate Memorial Day Is All About The Fallen

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Today is Confederate Memorial Day here in Alabama. Its a State Holiday and all offices are closed. Confederate Memorial Day is all about our fallen soldiers and sailors. This day is for remembering those who fell for what they believed in. Ceremonies will be held today at the capitol in Montgomery and the keynote speaker will be Dr. Harry Reeder with music by the renowned Bobby Horton. Attendees may announce the name and unit of one Confederate ancestor. The finale of the day will be a cannon & rifle salute to our Confederate soldiers & sailors. Its free to the public.

Joshism

Sergeant Major
There is no good reason to have a Confederate Memorial Day. We already have one Memorial Day for everyone else; either that includes the CSA or they don't get a memorial day at all.

While we're at it we can recognize Native Americans warriors on Memorial Day as well.

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
Today is Confederate Memorial Day here in Alabama. Its a State Holiday and all offices are closed. Confederate Memorial Day is all about our fallen soldiers and sailors. This day is for remembering those who fell for what they believed in. Ceremonies will be held today at the capitol in Montgomery and the keynote speaker will be Dr. Harry Reeder with music by the renowned Bobby Horton. Attendees may announce the name and unit of one Confederate ancestor. The finale of the day will be a cannon & rifle salute to our Confederate soldiers & sailors. Its free to the public.
I so wanted to be in Alabama today but as the year progressed earlier,events kinda dictated that I could not. Maybe next year. Mobile and Montgomery have been calling me.

RobertP

Major
There is no good reason to have a Confederate Memorial Day. We already have one Memorial Day for everyone else; either that includes the CSA or they don't get a memorial day at all.

While we're at it we can recognize Native Americans warriors on Memorial Day as well.
Interestingly several southern towns; Columbus, Miss., Macon, Ga., and Richmond among them claim to have had the first Decoration Day. I didn’t realize that Memorial (Decoration) Day didn’t become a Federal holiday until 1971.

Hoseman

Corporal

If we, as southerners, choose to have a single day to honor our ancestors who made the ultimate sacrifice then there is certainly a good reason to have Confederate memorial day. The last time I checked this was a free country and people can honor whomever they like. I was fortunate enough to have delivered the key note speech a few years ago on Confederate memorial day at our county courthouse complete with a flag raising ceremony, honor guard and a seven gun salute. Each name of every soldier in our county who died during the war was read and it was a great day. If you don't like it then don't participate.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Sadly, not all see this day in the manner you describe.

Some see it as a celebration of an attempt to destroy the nation and to preserve the institution of slavery.

While it is good to remember the sacrifices and hardships of our ancestors, what we choose to remember is just as important.

In my view, if a majority of the citizens of the great State of Alabama want to remember the fallen soldiers and sailors of the Confederacy, then they should have that right. Those who don't wish to do so also have that right.

Remember their individual courage and sacrifice, but do not confuse history with that courage and sacrifice, and respect the feelings of those who wish not to participate.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Sadly, not all see this day in the manner you describe.

Some see it as a celebration of an attempt to destroy the nation and to preserve the institution of slavery.
Example? Do you know of any individual or group among those taking part in Confederate memorial services that are celebrating those things?

respect the feelings of those who wish not to participate
It's a two-way street.

lelliott19

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
In my area, the CMD service is held in a cemetery chapel. The event is a solemn one. Descendants fill the pews and submit the name of their ancestor who served. The service has no hatefilled speeches, no mention of destroying the nation or perpetuating slavery. The people who attend are businessmen, laborers, veterans themselves, and overall, some of the most patriotic (to the USA not the Confederacy) and philanthropic citizens......the ones who also clean up the streets on Earth Day, volunteer to feed the homeless, serve on the local committees, and donate to the United Way.

The service includes a couple of interesting talks - one usually on the "cost" of the war (in lives) and one usually on an individual soldier, sailor, officer, etc. Then the "roll " is called and a moment of silence for each name. Sometimes a candle is lit for each man.
In addition to CMD, which is more of a sit-down service, just to recognize CW veterans, the people in Alabama also have Decoration Days at individual cemeteries in May. This is where you clean up the cemetery and place new flowers on the grave. I remember going to six or more of these every May when I was a kid. Would you prohibit these as well?

Perhaps it is a difference of culture/values and climate? Down here, decoration days start in mid-April and go through June. CMD is always in late April and Memorial Day of course is last weekend in May. So basically, we recognize the dead for about 6 weeks - CW vets, then individual cemeteries, then all vets on Memorial Day.

Last edited:

RobertP

Major
In my area, the CMD service is held in a cemetery chapel. The event is s solemn one. Descendants fill the pews and submit the name of their ancestor who served. The service has no hatefilled speeches, no mention of destroying the nation or perpetuating slavery. Just a couple of interesting talks - one usually on the "cost" of the war (in lives) and one usually on an individual soldier, sailor, officer, etc. Then the "roll " is called and a moment of silence for each name. Sometimes a candle is lit for each man.

In addition to CMD, which is more of a sit-down service, just to recognize CW veterans, the people in Alabama also have Decoration Days at individual cemeteries in May. This is where you clean up the cemetery and place new flowers on the grave. I remember going to six or more of these every May when I was a kid. Would you prohibit these as well?

Perhaps it is a difference of culture/values and climate? Down here, decoration days start in mid-April and go through June. CMD is always in late April and Memorial Day of course is last weekend in May. So basically, we recognize the dead for about 6 weeks - CW vets, then individual cemeteries, then all vets on Memorial Day.
Gosh, what a thoughtful, well written post!

lelliott19

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
16th flag.jpg
Salute to the fallen of the 16th Georgia Volunteer Infantry....from Madison, Jackson, Gwinnett, Hart, Habersham, Columbia and Walton counties. If you served in the regiment, it seems you were pretty likely to receive your "allotted ounce of lead." Of the over 1400 men who eventually served in the regiment, my current compiled casualty data (in progress) confirms the following:

Battlefield casualties:
225 killed, mortally wounded, or died later from wounds
566 wounded (some men wounded more than once; excluding those who died recorded above)
533 captured (some men captured more than once; more than 66 died as POWs)
9 missing in action and can not be accounted for as prisoners or deserters.
Additionally:
170 died of disease or unknown cause
3 were killed accidentally
3 were wounded accidentally one in a train wreck; one with 3 fingers shot off accidentally; and one with a fork (yes the eating kind) in the elbow which resulted in tetanus

So out of 1400 +/- men, about 33% died on the battlefield, of wounds, of disease, by accident, or as prisoners.

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Example? Do you know of any individual or group among those taking part in Confederate memorial services that are celebrating those things?

It's a two-way street.
My fellow SCV compatriots, welcome guests and I will celebrate Confederate Memorial Day the closest Sunday afternoon to May 10 – Confederate Memorial Day in North and South Carolina.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Our UDC Chapter held a special service with the SCV last month to coincide with their annual convention here in California. It is at the local Veteran's Cemetery where there are Union and Confederate dead and I have pictures of the event up on my FB page. It was my first year participating and I was very humbled by the proceedings. We honor all veterans and I was asked to do a short reading. We place battle flags on the graves on the Confederate soldiers for the memorial (which we remove after) and all who are present are given flowers in remembrance of their ancestors who are named and then we distribute more flowers to the graves of the veterans.

Wreath presented by the UDC in honor of all who lost their lives in the War Between the States.
Confederate Memorial Day 2018
IMG_20180311_104341.jpg

Georgia Sixth

Sergeant Major
Salute to the fallen of the 40th Alabama Infantry. The Casualty Report of the 40th Alabama Infantry at Lookout Mountain is on display at the Museum Of The Confederacy in Richmond,VA.
QUOTE]

One of the roots of my family tree included a sod buster from northern Alabama who was a foot soldier in the 38th Alabama of Clayton's Brigade, which was part of Stewart's Division, same as the 40th Alabama. His outfit was wrecked in the debacle of the Ridge as well....though he survived and I'm here as a result.

BTW, I'll be in Houston in a couple of weeks to get my daughter, who's in college down there.