Confederate Lieutenant Colonel ID help

brettw

Private
FFAB7B5A-757D-4693-B5D9-7934B1853EEC.jpeg
Hi guys. I purchased this Confederate tin backed painting and I’m trying to possibly Identify the Colonel. I know its a long shot but there couldn’t have been that many Artillery Lieutenant Colonels. I thought through the years someone may have seen him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Nice painting. If he is a CS LT Col it will be hard to Id as the Southern States as well as the CS Army had many Lt Col of Artillery. Wish I could see the belt plate and buttons better as that would tell the tale of this Artillery Officer.

There actually isn’t enough detail on the paintings buttons and buckle to tell anything.

Initial first impression... and a possible candidate.. is that the image might be John Lane (1837-1914)... Who was a notable Confederate artillery officer and battalion commander in the Army of Northern Virginia... He also ended the war with rank of a Lieutenant Colonel.

Im not aware of a period image that this painting may have been based upon... but here is a post war image of John Lane taken around 1900....(could be doctored up rendition off this one) Looking close at the facial features and contours, can see lots of similarities here in comparison... taking in consideration of the age differences whereof and a bit thinner face when older.... compare the forehead.. hair parting.. brow...crease under the eyes, nose.. ears... chin, shoulder slope angle, etc... at least in my initial observations...

Lane-John-0_0_178_250.jpg
lane-painting-2.jpg

Thanks for the reply. He sure looks pretty close to him for sure. May very well be him . Thanks

Looking at the photo, I'd say he's in a blue SC Militia uniform, possibly red piped, also in the photo he has a goatee, and not just a mustache. But the kicker that tells me their one and the same, is the sword, being the guard and position are identical, and the sash is identical in position, and the knot identical, (though enlarged in the painting). Plus the belt and buckle are the same.

I'd say it is indeed a bingo.

Dear Lord. No promotions please. I already command a company and that's a handful enough as it is!

Lt. Col. Wagner is indeed wearing the pre-war South Carolina militia uniform of dark blue, with the shoulder boards, which would have also had a palmetto tree on them most likely. There are several surviving examples of the pre-war blues. Interesting side note - the South Carolina Militia would not give up the blue uniform until the 1870's when it officially adopted Gray as it's uniform color.

Attach is an image of a single breasted artillery frock coat from the SC Militia that came up for sale a few years back. A higher ranking example would be the double-breasted militia coat of Brigadier General States Rights Gist, which is currently in the collection of the Union County Historical Society in Union, South Carolina, and can be seen on display in their museum.

Frock Coat of the SC Army (a).jpg

That is awesome guys. Thank you. I haven’t been on here in a while and just saw your findings. Definitely him and known for having Fort Wagner named after him.

Back