Confederate Legacy...End of Whaling!

As noted elsewhere by other posters here, it's a bit of a stretch to say the Confederacy helped kill off the American whaling industry.

Many American whaling interests simply transferred their vessels to British registry (British flag) and then continued business as usual. This reduced the number of whaling vessels in the U.S.-flag fleet, but didn't reduce the number of whales killed or impact the general business trends in the global whaling industry.

Much more important in the decline of whaling by American businessmen was the growing competition from coal oil and petroleum producers here at home.

The Confederate Navy’s primary mission was to destroy enemy shipping on the high seas, a fortunate side effect was that it went far to destroy the abominable New England whaling industry.

"He alone deserves to be remembered by his children who treasures up and preserves the memory of his fathers."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Kind of like the Yankees ending Slavery while fighting a War to Make the South Submissive to the North. Who would of Thunk.

DSC04790.JPG

As noted elsewhere by other posters here, it's a bit of a stretch to say the Confederacy helped kill off the American whaling industry.

Many American whaling interests simply transferred their vessels to British registry (British flag) and then continued business as usual. This reduced the number of whaling vessels in the U.S.-flag fleet, but didn't reduce the number of whales killed or impact the general business trends in the global whaling industry.

Much more important in the decline of whaling by American businessmen was the growing competition from coal oil and petroleum producers here at home.
And the subsequent development of the appropriate lamps like this one that could burn camphor and other oils rather than stinky whale oil:
DSC04796.JPG

A Compact with the Whales: Confederate Commerce Raiders and New Bedford’s Whaling Industry 1861-1865
by Mark Mello

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/acw-naval-papers.152447/page-2#post-2000469

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

I just want to brag that I posted my thread years before Mr. Mello published his paper... lol... I think he put a little more effort into his paper than I put into my thread... lol

Here is the link again... https://vc.bridgew.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1226&context=honors_proj

Back