Confederate hats of the time?

3rdTennCo.C

Private
I am a reenactor doing a confederate impression of a soldier from the 3rd Tennessee Reg Cavalry, i want to wear a slouch hat but im not a big fan of the plain open crown, does anyone know of some common crown or general hat styles of that time, also civilian styles?

I am a reenactor doing a confederate impression of a soldier from the 3rd Tennessee Reg Cavalry, i want to wear a slouch hat but im not a big fan of the plain open crown, does anyone know of some common crown or general hat styles of that time, also civilian styles?
Any slouch hat that suits you, black or brown were common. Avoid the temptation of many Confederate reenactors to wear a kepi unless you are doing an early war battle.

Would a pinch front style crown with a flat "slouchy" brim be accurate? Would you say it was a common style then? I also have been promoted to corporal after 2 years of campaigning, would there be any insignia on a hat for a "officer" like that? (not like a generals insignia or anything but would it be realistic for anyone other than a trooper to have say the brass crossed sabres and unit number on a hat?)

3rd Tenn Cav - Forrest's Old Regiment.

A beehive farmer is always a good choice for a general impression in West TN/N MS for any time period. In the fall of 1863, the 3rd TN would have been drawing hats from the Columbus, MS. Many of those were undyed/drab manufactured by Hale & Sykes. A surviving example issued to another unit in Forrest's Cav Corps is a natural colored wool felt with a flat crown and the right side is pinned. You wouldn't have seen an NCO (corporal) insignia on the hat, maybe a company insignia occasionally.

Beehive farmer
beehive farmer.jpg

Original Hale & Sykes issued out of Columbus, MS to Forrest's Cav Corps

silas buck hat right side.jpg

Back