Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers Confederate Frock Coat

Hey.
Since I havent kept up with all the sutlers the last years, can someone recommend a place to get a decent prized generic Confederate frock coat?
I prefer brownish-grey in a coarse material. Maybe Jean cloth.
There are some expensive ones out there, but I will not use it for reenacting, so 100% accuracy in every detail is not necessary, as I understand the expensive ones are.
I also need Jean cloth trousers, since my old ones are too small, but prefer a different colour tone in those.
It will be part of my outfit when I go target shooting with my Armi Sport Richmond musket in our black powder shooting club where I live..

Hello! Hopefully I can help you a little bit here.

I recommend you check eBay under Civil War Reenactment Reproduction. Here, you can find both new and used items at a pretty fair price. Since you state that you won't necessarily be using the uniform for reenacting, you don't have to be too picky. If, however, you feel the Living History bug might bite, then do your research and try picking up something from a quality on-line sutler. I'm sure the folks here at CWT can then direct you to their favorite sources.

Good luck!

If you wanted top of the line I'd recommend Wambaugh and White but since I think your not quite looking for that I'd give Blockade Runner a look. Their garments are pretty inexpensive compared to some of the others. I needed a pair of jean clothe trousers in a hurry a few years back and picked up a pair from them and was pretty happy with them.

Ben Tart blank frock coat. Hard to beat what you receive for the price.

- S.S. Mucket

I purchased one this past Summer and couldn't agree more. It's not as 'fancy' as some in that it doesn't have tail pockets, quilted liner, etc., but it is indeed a great value. The coat is based on an original housed in the NC Museum of History.

I would, however, act fast as I don't believe Tart is making frock coat blanks to order anymore. He does have two finished ones in stock, currently (hopefully their your size):

http://www.bnbtart.com/in_stock_Garments.html

Back