Discussion "Confederate Flags at Sea" - A great resource for information on a few Confederate naval flags

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
This site, along with the other Confederate flag websites, have proven highly useful in my research of Confederate flags, this particular site contains a collection of a number of Confederate naval flags, I thought I'd share it with you.
"Confederate Flags at Sea"

Here are a few digital recreations of flags I've seen on the site

Ensign of the CSS Ellis
CSSEllisensign.png

Ensign of the CSS Curlew
CSSCurlewensign.png

Ensign of the CSS Arkansas
starsandbars7starscssarkansas.png

Ensign of the Schooner Emma
starsandbars7starsschooneremmba.png

Ensign of the Sloop Lida
starsandbars7starsslooplida.png

Ensign of the Blockade Runner Shark
Starsbarssharkensign.png

Ensign of the Blockade Runner Ann
starsandbarsblockaderunnerann.png

Ensign of the Privateer Jefferson Davis
starsbarsjeffdavisensign.png

Ensign of the British schooner William
starsandbarsschoonerWilliam.png

Ensign of the CSS Virginia
Virginiaensign.png

South Carolina Secession Flag variant/Ensign of the Schooner Columbia
southcarolinasecessionschoonercolumbia.jpg

South Carolina Secession Flag
southcarolinasecession1.png

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
Heres another...
This massive ensign is attributed to the CSS Alabama. Reportedly given as a gift by Semmes during the war with provenance.

This one resides in a museum collection. I was there as part of a film crew working on a historical related documentary at the time, and they brought this one and several other nautical related historical flags out of storage so I could examine them. Not normally on public display. It was so large we had to use the lobby floor to unroll it on. (Museum was closed to the public at the time). Another one they have I was asked and tried to assist in identification upon. It was inscribed on the hoist edge but wasnt able to identify the named vessel it reportedly came from.
alabama-P1030858a.jpg

alabama-image001.jpg

alabama-P1030860-b.jpg

Heres another...
This massive ensign is attributed to the CSS Alabama. Reportedly given as a gift by Semmes during the war with provenance.

This one resides in a museum collection. I was there as part of a film crew working on a historical related documentary at the time, and they brought this one and several other nautical related historical flags out of storage so I could examine them. Not normally on public display. It was so large we had to use the lobby floor to unroll it on. (Museum was closed to the public at the time). Another one they have I was asked and tried to assist in identification upon. It was inscribed on the hoist edge but wasnt able to identify the named vessel it reportedly came from.
View attachment 330845

View attachment 330846

View attachment 330849
That is a beautiful ensign!
Here's a First Navy Ensign also of the CSS Alabama
CSSAlabamaflag.jpg

Some more recreations I've made from that site

Second-pattern navy jack of the ironclad CSS Albemarle
csnjack2cssalbamarle.png

Post-1863 jack of the CSS Florida (Could this be based on the alternate variant of the 1863 Confederate commissioning pennant?)
csnjack2cssflorida.png

First Navy Ensign of the CSS J. C. Calhoun (or, simply, the CSS Calhoun, since I couldn't find a ship named the "J. C. Calhoun" in my research)
starsandbarscssjccalhoun.png

Frederick14Va

Sergeant Major
That is a beautiful ensign!
Here's a First Navy Ensign also of the CSS Alabama
View attachment 330897
This particular flag is attributed to a sailor that served aboard the vessel, and is actually a handmade personal affair. Its quite small comparatively to most. Possibly intended for use on a Launch boat than a ship. Yeah Ive also personally examined this one too..
alabama-P1030852a.jpg

One of the oddities of this flag besides having 14 stars... Is that the stars are cut out (aka: peek-through) on the obverse side (front) rather than the reverse (back) which was the common habit during this era. Also you dont typically find this method being used on smaller flags such as this.
alabama-P1030851-b.jpg

This particular flag is attributed to a sailor that served aboard the vessel, and is actually a handmade personal affair. Its quite small comparatively to most. Possibly intended for use on a Launch boat than a ship. Yeah Ive also personally examined this one too..
View attachment 330910

One of the oddities of this flag besides having 14 stars... Is that the stars are cut out (aka: peek-through) on the obverse side (front) rather than the reverse (back) which was the common habit during this era. Also you dont typically find this method being used on smaller flags such as this.
View attachment 330911
Fascinating!

Here are a few more recreations I've made, I might continually update this thread as I continue to make recreations of the flags on the site.
Second Navy Ensign-pattern ensign of the CSS Albemarle
csnensign2cssalbemarle.png

Second Navy Ensign variant ensign of the sloop CSS Caroline
csnensign2sloopcaroline.png

Second Navy Jack-pattern naval jack of the CSS Beaufort
csnjack2cssbeaufort.png

Second Navy Ensign-pattern Ensign of the CSS Alabama
csnensign2cssalabama.png

"Rogers Patent" Signal Flag
confederatesignalflagrogerspatent.png

The ensign of the British blockade runner Miriam
stainlessbannerbritishblockaderunnerMiriam.png

Last edited:
Sir, on the first flag you posted, some of the stars are upside down. Do you know the reason for that?

Thanks for your time,
USS ALASKA
Some Confederate flags have their stars at different angles, some upside down, others rotated at certain angles, I'm not sure why, maybe it's just design choices.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the 7 upside down stars represent the original 7 Confederate states.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

wardniner

Private
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the 7 upside down stars represent the original 7 Confederate states.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Supposedly the “crescent” (worth noting that it’s not a crescent moon but rather modeled after a piece of uniform gear from the Revolution) is “upside down” in the SC secession flag to represent distress. In the state flag of today, it faces the opposite direction.