Restricted Confederate Flag Returning to South Carolina Statehouse

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
Oh ...I thought this would be about putting up an actual Confederate national flag -- having 4 chances to get that right -- but I see it's the Confederate battle banner (you know, the thing that flew on a guidon or a ship's jackstaff, not on flagpoles during the Civil War). I suppose if a newspaper is going lazy on accurate terms they can at least be selling more papers.

With the proper information so easily available to us in 2018, this incident seems merely a sophmoric little costume play on the courthouse lawn, and Yawn. Nearby souvenir shops regularly sell hundreds of Chinese-made hand-flags, T-shirts and mugs of the Confederate battle banner (find them between the NASCAR rack and the Billy Bass wall plaques). Nice drain-pipe engineering though.*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Although for their sake I would recommend that next year they cover that PVC contraption with a grey or red shrouding or canvas tarp, anything with a more respectful look to it.

Last edited:

AndyHall

Colonel
The South Carolina Secessionist Party that's hosting this event is one of the more shouty, belligerent, spittle-flecked heritage groups out there, and a perfect example of how Confederate heritage stuff is sometimes inextricably intertwined with present-day politics. Wherever one falls on the issue of monuments, these are folks to steer clear of.

Too small for a republic, etc.

RobertP

Major
The South Carolina Secessionist Party that's hosting this event is one of the more shouty, belligerent, spittle-flecked heritage groups out there, and a perfect example of how Confederate heritage stuff is sometimes inextricably intertwined with present-day politics. Wherever one falls on the issue of monuments, these are folks to steer clear of.

The monument protests are all intertwined with modern politics as well. I’d say it’s pretty even.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l

There are always the anti-heritage activities of the leftist/anarchist groups to make them look like knights in shiny armor.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant

...and I suppose Anti-Confederate Heritage Groups™ are not?
Edited.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Four post, three objectors. Hhhhmmmmmmm.
So that we are clear: I do not object to such theatrical demonstrations. It's called Free Speech. The state has authorized their demonstration by issuing them a permit.
My question is, how can anyone in the 21st-century, especially anyone who respects southern heritage, support the "S.C. Secessionist Party"?

byron ed

2nd Lieutenant
What’s the difference in the “costume play” in S.C. as you call it and what you do?
It's what they're doing, not what they're wearing.

Reenactments aspire to historical accuracy, Plays aspire to audience approval.

Last edited:

CCMDCSA

Sergeant
To be honest I do not know anything about the party I thought I did read in the article about the SCV a organization I support
So that we are clear: I do not object to such theatrical demonstrations. It's called Free Speech. The state has authorized their demonstration by issuing them a permit.
My question is, how can anyone in the 21st-century, especially anyone who respects southern heritage, support the "S.C. Secessionist Party"?

AndyHall

Colonel
My assessment of the South Carolina Secessionist Party (No. 4 above) is based on the last couple of years' worth of reading their blog- and Facebook posts. They really are the sort of reactionaries that bring discredit to the causes they claim to promote.

And yes, there absolutely are loony folks on the left, too. No argument from me on that point.