Confederate Flag displayed in Connecticut neighborhood

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
It is not a odd sight to see one here in Potter County or across the state line in Allegheny County, NY. Many license plates/frames, hats and bumper stickers are somewhat common as well.

I am sure some of it has a political - historical meaning to some people, but I’d bet most of it has to do with being a “redneck country boy/girl” etc.

I was born in 1971, and it was not until I had graduated from high school and was part way through the 1990s that I first encountered a racial association with the Confederate battle flag, and that's only because the NAACP boycot of SC for flying it over our State House dome was in the news. All my life growing up the flag meant either "proud to be from the South" or "redneck" and you saw it often, if not as actual flags as patches on hats, jackets, belt buckles, on t-shirts, etc. No one I knew, white or black, thought anything of it. It was a benign symbol of the South.

Last edited:

PapaReb

First Sergeant
I was born in 1971, and it was not until I had graduated from high school and was part way through the 90s that I first encountered a racial association with the Confederate battle flag, and that's only because the NAACP boycot of SC for flying it over our State House dome was in the news. All my life growing up the flag meant either "proud to be from the South" or "redneck" and you saw it often, if not as actual flags as patches on hats, jackets, belt buckles, on t-shirts, etc. No one I knew, white or black, thought anything of it. It was a benign symbol of the South.
“The Good Old Days” when we could be proud of our Southern heritage without being labeled a racist or white supremacist.

Kyle Kalasnik

Sergeant
I was born in 1971, and it was not until I had graduated from high school and was part way through the 90s that I first encountered a racial association with the Confederate battle flag, and that's only because the NAACP boycot of SC for flying it over our State House dome was in the news. All my life growing up the flag meant either "proud to be from the South" or "redneck" and you saw it often, if not as actual flags as patches on hats, jackets, belt buckles, on t-shirts, etc. No one I knew, white or black, thought anything of it. It was a benign symbol of the South.
That is exactly what I have gathered.

It is not a odd sight to see one here in Potter County or across the state line in Allegheny County, NY. Many license plates/frames, hats and bumper stickers are somewhat common as well.

I am sure some of it has a political - historical meaning to some people, but I’d bet most of it has to do with being a “redneck country boy/girl” etc.
Actually least round here I would say most of it is history and heritage......but this is the midwest. I would say they were quite a bit rarer before the 2015 anniversary, it raised historical interest and consequently more people investigated their ACW roots.

There's little controversy here, so don't see why people wouldn't still use them.

Cycom

Sergeant
I don't know if it has any relevance, but of course Maryland was begun as a particular haven and refuge for Catholics (in the same way Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth Plantations were staunchly and exclusively Calvinist), and the Catholic Calverts were largely behind the scheme; therefore, in our currently agnostic and atheist Liberal societies it may be felt too much a religious symbol. Another extreme example though of a non-religious nature is a movement here in Texas to abandon the official State Song The Eyes of Texas, not because it's inherently racist, but because it dates to the Jim Crow era and has been sung at minstrel shows! These people would see everything pre-dating integration scrapped and replaced by Politically Correct substitutes and likely there are Marylanders with similar views.
As a devout Catholic myself, this was interesting and I’ll have to look into it more. In fact, I’m currently researching Catholicism in the South during the CW era.

Regarding the rest of your post, yes it’s an absolute travesty that the wokies are in charge. These are corrupt and dangerous people.