Confederate Flag displayed in Connecticut neighborhood

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
While driving today, I came across a Confederate flag displayed in this Connecticut neighborhood. I haven't seen a Confederate flag flying in front of someone's house in many years...

How common is it to see the battle flag flying where you live?

Screenshot_20210310-130633_WhatsApp.jpg

Cavalier

First Sergeant
There were two houses on the road we frequently take from Maryland into Pennsylvania displaying Confederate flags. Now only one and it is not the traditional blue St. Andrews cross on a red field.

John

Last edited:

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Not quite as common as it once was, but I do still see them. To be honest I don’t really care for the display of the battle flag, I prefer the first national.
Honestly... I don't recall the last time I saw one near where I live... if ever.

John Winn

Major
I've only seen one in the thirty years I've lived here and, oddly to me, that was a first national. That house - which I drive by frequently - now just flies an American flag. There was a case maybe five or six years ago where a county resident lost his county job because he flew a battle flag on his truck which he parked at his job site and refused to stop doing so. There's not any real connection here to things Civil War although I suppose there might be somebody who might fly a battle flag to express more modern political leanings (we've got some pretty radical folk out in the county and the next county over); just haven't seen one.

Last edited:

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I've only seen one in the thirty years I've lived here and, oddly to me, that was a first national. That house - which I drive by frequently - now just flies an American flag. There was a case maybe five or six years ago where a county resident list his county job because he flew a battle flag on his truck which he parked at his job site and refused to stop doing so. There's not any real connection here to things Civil War although I suppose there might be somebody who might fly a battle flag to express more modern political leanings (we've got some pretty radical folk out in the county and the next county over); just haven't seen one.
The more I think about it... I don't if I've ever seen one flying out front of a house. I've seen them on trucks, but that's about it.

I can see how he lost his job... when you work for a county, town or local government, you have to suppress your political views, or other such "outbursts". There have been many cases of people who work in the public sector being fired for radical political post on social media or other such posts. You would think while not working, your allowed to speak freely... but that is not the case, especially as a governmental employee.

1950lemans

First Sergeant
While driving today, I came across a Confederate flag displayed in this Connecticut neighborhood. I haven't seen a Confederate flag flying in front of someone's house in many years...

How common is it to see the battle flag flying where you live?

View attachment 393849
I'm from CT and have never, ever seen a rebel flag flying from someone's house. LOL. Since this is a recent photo maybe he's making some sorta statement or something.

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I'm from CT and have never, ever seen a rebel flag flying from someone's house. LOL. Since this is a recent photo maybe he's making some sorta statement or something.
It made me very curious as well... that's why I stopped and took the photo. I was even tempted to stop and ask... but that thought only crossed my mind for a second... then I drove off.

John Winn

Major
The more I think about it... I don't if I've ever seen one flying out front of a house. I've seen them on trucks, but that's about it.

I can see how he lost his job... when you work for a county, town or local government, you have to suppress your political views, or other such "outbursts". There have been many cases of people who work in the public sector being fired for radical political post on social media or other such posts. You would think while not working, your allowed to speak freely... but that is not the case, especially as a governmental employee.
Yeah. His employer just said he couldn't park his truck with the flag on county property - i.e. they weren't saying he couldn't drive around town on his own time with it. He, though, felt it was a violation of his first amendment rights and made a point of continuing to come to work wit the flag. He sued when he got fired but lost. The story got followed by the paper locally. He didn't seem real bright to me.

The one at the house was on a pole in the back yard but the property is right on a busy street and the back yard parallels the street so, of course, the flag is prominent. I often wonder why he chose a first national in the first place and what motivated him to take it down. I'd be willing to bet there's not more than three people here (including me) who would have any idea what it was. Maybe somebody was just curious and Googled it or something. Who knows.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
I made a trip following Morgan’s raid which was more or less following the Ohio River, and saw more Confederate flags flying than any other place I ever travelled to. They were on trucks and homes. Boats. Motor cycles. Bycles. Mail boxes. Etc.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
That's lousy justification for anything.
Interesting perspective. The idea that somebody needs to justify their choice of flag, displayed on their property, I find appalling. Either one believes in free expression (1st Amend), or one doesn't. It really is THAT simple.

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Why would any living in CT fly a Confederate flag, except for modern political reasons?
Maybe so. But there could be many reasons. Maybe they recently moved here from the south and had one flying in their old house. Maybe they had several relatives fight for the Confederacy and fly the flag to honor them. Maybe it's for the support of Confederate monuments. Although I'm probably the wrong person to ask, being from the north. I'm sure our southern friends can answer that question much better I can.

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
That's lousy justification for anything.
I have to respectfully disagree. I'm a strong advocate for 1st amendment rights. And that goes both ways. There may be many things I disagree with... yet I respect their right to say or display whatever they believe in. And the same courtesy should be given to someone flying the Confederate Flag.