Confederate firepower at Fort Pillow in Spring of 1862.

georgew

First Sergeant
From OR, Ser I, vol 7, pg 916
"March 3, 1862
"Six 32-poundrs on back line, all mounted and ten smooth-bore 32-pounders on rivr, and four 32-pounders on back line, all mounted.

On the last week of March, Gen. Villepigue requested 15,000 lbs of powder for Fort Pillow provided a short list of ordnance at this point.

28 32-pounders
4 10-inch Columbiads
3 8-inch Columbiads

total 35 guns
A number of the 32-pounders were supplied to the River Defense Service vessels of the northern squadron. The initial number transferred appears to have been six, but more followed and four "big" guns were supplied to heavier, slower rams as bow chasers just before they moved south to Memphis.
There was an isolated report of one 13" mortar, "probably foreign" at Fort Pillow in April, 1862.
Local newspapers at Memphis later claimed that all of the RDS boats had a minimum of two guns. At the time of the forts abandonment a total of 19 spiked guns were left behind. One puzzling issue was a claim in one of the newspapers that the Little Rebel carried two "small 32-pounders" during the action off Memphis, but a sketch by Simplot of the Little Rebel from a bluff above her anchorage after capture shows one gun aft and no bow chaser or provision for a run circle at the bow.
The CSN gunboats left a number of guns ashore below the fort, but two were rescued against Cdr. Pinkney's orders and taken up the Yazoo.

From OR, Ser I, vol 7, pg 916
"March 3, 1862
"Six 32-poundrs on back line, all mounted and ten smooth-bore 32-pounders on rivr, and four 32-pounders on back line, all mounted.

On the last week of March, Gen. Villepigue requested 15,000 lbs of powder for Fort Pillow provided a short list of ordnance at this point.

28 32-pounders
4 10-inch Columbiads
3 8-inch Columbiads

total 35 guns
A number of the 32-pounders were supplied to the River Defense Service vessels of the northern squadron. The initial number transferred appears to have been six, but more followed and four "big" guns were supplied to heavier, slower rams as bow chasers just before they moved south to Memphis.
There was an isolated report of one 13" mortar, "probably foreign" at Fort Pillow in April, 1862.
Local newspapers at Memphis later claimed that all of the RDS boats had a minimum of two guns. At the time of the forts abandonment a total of 19 spiked guns were left behind. One puzzling issue was a claim in one of the newspapers that the Little Rebel carried two "small 32-pounders" during the action off Memphis, but a sketch by Simplot of the Little Rebel from a bluff above her anchorage after capture shows one gun aft and no bow chaser or provision for a run circle at the bow.
The CSN gunboats left a number of guns ashore below the fort, but two were rescued against Cdr. Pinkney's orders and taken up the Yazoo.
Hello George, I am intrigued by your note that 'four "big" guns were supplied to heavier, slower rams as bow chasers' -- do you have any more details of that, and the source ? I was wondering if 'big guns' might simply have referred to 32-pounders -- which might seem big to, say, a field artilleryman -- or something larger ? I had the idea that most of the River Defence Fleet rams were armed with 32-pdrs, with perhaps the exception of the Bragg, but have not looked into this in a long time.

"The CSN gunboats left a number of guns ashore below the fort, but two were rescued against Cdr. Pinkney's orders and taken up the Yazoo."

What are the details and source (s) for the underlined statement please ?

One puzzling issue was a claim in one of the newspapers that the Little Rebel carried two "small 32-pounders" during the action off Memphis, but a sketch by Simplot of the Little Rebel from a bluff above her anchorage after capture shows one gun aft and no bow chaser or provision for a run circle at the bow.

Sir, DANFS states that Little Rebel carried three 12 pounders. Whether this was while in CSN service or USN isn't specified.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
Sir, DANFS states that Little Rebel carried three 12 pounders. Whether this was while in CSN service or USN isn't specified.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
I suspect that the 12 pounders would have been aboard during Union service. A number of the Union river gunboats ended up with a mix for "guns" and Army howitzers.

Hello George, I am intrigued by your note that 'four "big" guns were supplied to heavier, slower rams as bow chasers' -- do you have any more details of that, and the source ? I was wondering if 'big guns' might simply have referred to 32-pounders -- which might seem big to, say, a field artilleryman -- or something larger ? I had the idea that most of the River Defence Fleet rams were armed with 32-pdrs, with perhaps the exception of the Bragg, but have not looked into this in a long time.
Sorry for the delay. There was a mix of guns for the northern squadron including at least one 24-pounder, 32-pounders and later four heavier guns variously cited as 8-inch and 10-inch columbiads. Some of the 32 pounders from the Fort Pillow artillery park came with full equipment and casemate type fortress mounts. The Thomson is the vessel cited in one source as carrying four guns at Memphis. I think this is probable as Thompson was cited as the RDS ram at Memphis intended to receive a reinforcement of an artillery company from Gen. Jeff Thompson's Missouri unit. They were unable to serve as Union forces moved downriver too quickly to execute the transfer from a wharf at the building yard for the Arkansas and Tennessee (I).

Do you have any info of the crew of the LITTLE REBEL at the Battle of Memphis?
Yes, but I'm a bit cautious about the information. There was a shakeup of personnel in the northern squadron after Plumb Point due to reports on the fall of New Orleans. A number of officers resigned and Montgomery was forced to make transfers between vessels to fill their slots. One of the resigned was the original chief engineer of Little Rebel. He was replaced by the Chief engineer from the Lovell and the former Chief Engineer of the southern squadron's flagboat Warrior filled that slot on the Lovell. Based upon earlier rosters for Little Rebel, she didn't have a large crew, but it was then supplemented by "marines" from Gen. Jeff Thompson's command. So far I've only been able to document three casualties as prisoners at Memphis. Montgomery and most of his crew escaped after Little Rebel was run aground on the west bank. Some rallied to Jackson, Ms. and were paid off. A few were later paid off at Yazoo City. You need to be aware that none of Thompson's unit served aboard any of the rams at Memphis as they had been withdrawn to be inducted into the regular Confederate Army as part of the 6th Missouri infantry. There is an odd reference by a survivor of the Lovell referring to "poor Memphis conscripts" in conjunction with the RDS. This is very odd as there are dispatches in the records of only 200 regular Confederate troops at Memphis. There was, however, a home guard of sorts in Memphis. The same source mentioning "poor Memphis conscripts" also mentions being fed and clothed with a complete home guard captain's uniform after the battle. It isn't clear whether any home guards rallied to reassemble at Jackson or simply gave up when Memphis was surrendered.

Yes, but I'm a bit cautious about the information. There was a shakeup of personnel in the northern squadron after Plumb Point due to reports on the fall of New Orleans. A number of officers resigned and Montgomery was forced to make transfers between vessels to fill their slots. One of the resigned was the original chief engineer of Little Rebel.
I know very little of the naval operations. I am interested in Midshipman Henry C. HOLT. I found a document that said he was assigned to the LITTLE REBEL about the time of the Battle of Memphis. I can only assume he was part of the crew at the battle but I have no other info.
H. C. Holt attended 4 years of the US Naval academy(out of the 5 required to graduate) and left for service with CSN on the JACKSON.
Just looking for any more details about his service at Memphis.

4/6/62 Villepigue to Beauregard-from Fort Pillow, A few days ago I received a copy of S O # 10, current series, from the Hqs of the Army of the Ms, requiring a detailed report of the condition of the Regts, Bns, &c., comprising my command. I have concluded to embody in the following general report of this fort, in order to lay before the Gen cdg as accurate a statement of its actual condition & resources as possible.

Arty Bn-Capt J. W. Stewart cdg- Guns, six 32-pounders, rifled, two 10-inch, two 8-inch, five 32-pounders; dress, very good; discipline, rather loose; drill, good; magazines, some not finished; in lower magazine, 246 10-inch, 64 8-inch, 1 box port-fires, 200 primers, 800 friction.
Capt Jones' Co-Deficient in clothing; officer sent for uniforms; no side-arms.
21st La Vols-Col Kennedy cdg-Discipline, very good- instruction, good; military appearance, very good; arms, mixed & worthless; accouterments & clothing, good; 40 rounds ammunition per man [To Beauregard/Bragg army]
1st Confederate Bn.-Major L. W. O'Bannon cdg-Arms, smooth-bore muskets, excepting Co D, which has Ms rifles, accouterments, arms, &c., in excellent order; clothing, good, but not uniform; camps, well policed; ammunition, 50 rounds per man.
31st Tenn Regt-Col Bradford cdg-Arms, Enfield rifle; arms, accouterments, &c., in serviceable condition; ammunition, 40 to 50 rounds per man; men well & sufficiently clothed; camp police in bad order; discipline & instruction can be improved. [To Beauregard/Bragg army]
Light Btry-Capt R. A. Stewart cdg. Guns, two 12-pounder bronzed howitzers, three 6-pounder guns, bronzed, one rifled Parrott gun; no Btry wagon or forge; 88 horses, 12 mules; guns & carriages in splendid order; harness in good condition; horses in tolerable order, 6 lame; mules in fine order; ammunition, 52 spherical case, 11 grape, 127 canister, for 12-pounders; 117 spherical case, 158 canister, 130 solid, for 6-pounders; 167 canister, 120 solid, for Parrott gun; men well disciplined, but not well drilled; clothes, good.
12th La Regt-Col Scott cdg- Discipline, good; drill, good; arms, mostly flint-locks, changed to percussion; 40 Enfield rifles are distributed among the Co's; at least 50 double-barreled shot-guns in Regt; clothing, good; deficient in camp equipage; ammunition, 30 rounds per man.

6/4/62 Report of Montgomery cdg river fleet to Sec of War Randolph-
Pillow evacuated. After the fight of 5/10, the Fed Gov't converted a large number of steam-boats into rams. They made their first appearance at Fort Pillow on 6/1. We gave chase & drove them back to their gun-boats. During the evacuation of Fort Pillow, we mounted four 8-inch guns on our boats. We assisted Gen Villepigue in getting his stores away. 6/4 the fort was abandoned. After having deterred the enemy from attempting to pass Fort Pillow since 4/11, we also were compelled to retire to Memphis, being nearly out of coal. The fleet reached Memphis at 12 m. on 6/5.

I know very little of the naval operations. I am interested in Midshipman Henry C. HOLT. I found a document that said he was assigned to the LITTLE REBEL about the time of the Battle of Memphis. I can only assume he was part of the crew at the battle but I have no other info.
H. C. Holt attended 4 years of the US Naval academy(out of the 5 required to graduate) and left for service with CSN on the JACKSON.
Just looking for any more details about his service at Memphis.
Sorry for another delay. I think I have your guy. An H.C. Holt signed aboard the Little Rebel as a "Gunner" on 4/21/62. Because Little Rebel was the last RDS boat to go upriver I think we can safely assume that he signed the articles at New Orleans. It threw me for a moment when you listed his time at the Naval Academy and cited him as a "midshipman", but he may have been one of the 200 or so southern naval officers who resigned their commissions and then had to sit it out until the CSN personnel department found them a slot. His training at Annapolis would have qualified him for gunnery. He survived the battle off Memphis. We know because he shows up as being paid off at Yazoo City on 6/21/62. It is possible that the CSN intended him to serve on the Jackson which escaped the battle of the forts and landed its crew off the customs house at New Orleans. He may have either been loaned to the RDS or signed with them due to a need to eat on a regular basis. I'm afraid this is all I have on him. There is a list of CSN officers that was published and republished years ago. He may appear on that list with a state of origin and assignments. I wonder if he was not assigned to the gunboat CSS Jackson, but rather the Naval HQ at Jackson, MS? Good luck with your research.

An H.C. Holt signed aboard the Little Rebel as a "Gunner" on 4/21/62. Because Little Rebel was the last RDS boat to go upriver I think we can safely assume that he signed the articles at New Orleans. It threw me for a moment when you listed his time at the Naval Academy and cited him as a "midshipman", but he may have been one of the 200 or so southern naval officers who resigned their commissions and then had to sit it out until the CSN personnel department found them a slot.
Thanks for the info.
I have been building a biography of Henry Clay Holt and found he had an interesting career. I got the class records for each year he was at the Naval Academy. In April 1861, the Academy allowed some cadets to leave early and go serve their country. Of course some went to serve the Confederacy. Henry Holt had a classmate that appears in some of the rosters with him: H. H. Daughtery. I've always wanted to see if any more of those released cadets served in the CSS JACKSON or other ship on the Mississippi River but I haven't done that research.

I found some short abbreviated biographies on Hole. I am trying to make sure that the info I have came from original documents or these bio's. I have a roster of those assigned to Jackson Station in May 1862 that mentions his name. Another source states Midshipman Henry C. Holt did serve onboard the CSS JACKSON (Engineer in Gray: Memoirs of Chief Engineer James H. Tomb, CSN", by James Hamilton Tom). Based upon these dates, it is assumed he served at the Battle of Head of Passes.
Another source identifies the crew members of the CSS Jackson at the Battle of Lucas Bend.

Lieutenant Phelp, U.S.N., in command of the US steamship Conestoga, reported that he had engaged the Yankee at Lucas Bend, just above Columbus, etc. The Yankee was the C.S.S. Jackson, commanded by Captain Gwathny, executive Officer Everett, Midshipmen Holt, Dougherty, and Telfair, and Dr. Ward . . .(Confederate Veteran, Volume XXXI, Page 94)

I finally found his Army service records filed under Officers & Staff. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the Army in June 1862---after the Battle of Memphis and the end of the RDF. He was the liaison officer who shuttled messages between General Ruggles and Captain Isaac Brown.
Letter Holt.JPG

By September 1862, he was assigned to Camp Moore, LA, where he became Post Adjutant.
Over the next year, he found himself commanding a small artillery battery in the cavalry of General James R. Chalmers. Here in my town of Collierville, he got to use those artillery pieces to put General Sherman's train out of commission.

So I have some biographies and comments that he was assigned to the LITTLE REBEL as a gunner. Just wondered if there is any documentation of who was at the Battle of Memphis---which would be about 30-35 miles from my house.

Back