Confederate Enfield's - Price??

ConfederateCanuck

First Sergeant
If I was to go to an average gun show and see a Pattern 1853 Enfield with Confederate markings, what would it cost me to buy one, if it was:
  • poor condition
  • fair
  • good
  • very good
  • excellent
(Note: I find that Internet prices are usually ridiculously high compared to gun show prices for most antique guns)

That is of course dependent on the exact markings on the Enfield in question. For example, a "poor" condition Louisiana hexagram L marked P1853 might bring $5,000, but one in very good condition will can fetch north of $10,000 without issue. On the other hand a lower value SL circle marked Enfield might be found in "poor" condition for less than $1,000 while a really nice one would be doing good to push $3,500.

If you know exactly what it is you are looking at you can find some real bargains at shows from time to time. I would argue that "ridiculously high" internet prices typically reflect solid retail prices from individuals that know their trade and guarantee their offerings' authenticity.
If I had a dollar for every dubious "Confederate Enfield" I've seen I would be able to afford a collection of Southern State imported P1853s.

Bottom line, for a budget collector like so many of us are, buy the reference books, set a budget, and wait until you turn up a nice example in your price range.

A fair question and a great reply from @GrayrockVolunteer , who knows what he's talking about, especially,
[QUOTE"Grayrock Bottom line, for a budget collector, like so many of us are, buy the reference books, set a budget, and wait until you turn up a nice example in your price range.

I would add that for the more advanced collector, or someone who wishes to "get into CS Enfields", the retail prices can be all over the place when you get in to average condition{ NRA Good} P53s, etc. with authentic carvings of names, units, capture tags, etc. This becomes very subjective when it rarely happens.
The photo below from The English Connection, is without any doubt, the most coveted example to show this variation in pricing . A rare Brunswick rifle, Confederate import marked, it would be priced in the 10-15+K, depending on condition. This example with the carved stock {another example on a P53 by the same hand exists} the price at least double or triple ++ the average. No, It isn't mine. Yet. :smug:

20181117_083923_resized (3).jpg

@Grayrock Volunteer and @Lanyard Puller are spot on with their post. All I would add is buy with your head and not your heart and don't just jump on the first thing you see but walk around and see what else there is and THINK about it first. Enfields are like buses and women, if you miss one there will be another come by in an hour.

I have an excellent P-53 I would like to sell. It is an 1853 Tower With Anchor over S. The metal is in excellent shape with lots of original finish. I contacted a well known antique gun dealer and he told me gun prices had taken a hit an offered me $2,000. Where is the best place to sell? I am old (88) and don't need the money but would like to get a fair price.
Two years ago College Hill Armory said $4,000 was a fair price.
Thanks for your help!

I have an excellent P-53 I would like to sell. It is an 1853 Tower With Anchor over S. The metal is in excellent shape with lots of original finish. I contacted a well known antique gun dealer and he told me gun prices had taken a hit an offered me $2,000. Where is the best place to sell? I am old (88) and don't need the money but would like to get a fair price.
Thanks for your help!
Your best bet would be to find gunships that sell antique arms and offer your gun on consignment. It might be a while before you sell your Enfield but you will get a better price. When I sell a gun that's how I do it and I get a better price then just selling it to a gun store. If possible make a road trip to a big city nearby you and talk to a few gun store owners and managers and see for yourself who seems the most trustworthy. Many gun shops advertise online such has Gunbroker.com so they reach a wide audience. As a private citizen you can't sell a gun across state lines but since a gun shop has a FFL they can sell shop to shop.
You can sell your Enfield at a gun show but check the local laws plus check with BATF.
Leftyhunter

Thanks for your help!
Any gun shop can sell your Enfield as long as they are affiliated with one or two major online sites. Just insist on a fair price and wait patiently for a buyer. One will turn up.
Leftyhunter

As a private citizen you can't sell a gun across state lines but since a gun shop has a FFL they can sell shop to shop.
You can sell your Enfield at a gun show but check the local laws plus check with BATF.
Leftyhunter

Uhmm, you better check your knowledge regarding firearm sales. According to Federal law, antique arms made prior to 1898 like the Enfield and other antique weapons DO NOT require an FFL transfer. A state law might be a different question but in most of the US, such a sale is not regulated in any way.

Uhmm, you better check your knowledge regarding firearm sales. According to Federal law, antique arms made prior to 1898 like the Enfield and other antique weapons DO NOT require an FFL transfer. A state law might be a different question but in most of the US, such a sale is not regulated in any way.

Yep, no different that buying a screwdriver across state lines....for the Feds.
One small correction however, it's prior to Jan 1, 1899

Under Federal Law, You can sell your Enfield anywhere you want, to anyone you want, on any site you want, but NOT in any state you want. A FEW state laws differ, but an 150 year old Enfield, pretty much anywhere. Here in Alabama all you need is a drivers license for any private citizen to sell ANY gun to another private citizen. Got to LOVE it.

Some states like California are a bit different.
Leftyhunter

[QUOTE "hrobalabama, Two years ago College Hill Armory said $4,000 was a fair price[/QUOTE]

I'll assume that Tim Prince saw the P53... and I'll add that 4K would the seller price, whether that is you or a dealer. Most dealers will offer you 15-20 % less.
If it is in NRA Excellent condition, which is very unusual for a CSA Enfield, I'd might go with a bit over the 4K if you sell it directly to an individual.

Excellent is; All original parts, over 80% original finish, unmarred wood, fine bore, sharp lettering. In perfect condition inside and out.

I believe New Jersey is the only state you need a FFL to sell an antique firearm, that includes reproductions. Look at any of the sutler sites that sell reproduction muskets and they all say they cannot ship to NJ. I believe every other state it's legal.

[QUOTE "hrobalabama, Two years ago College Hill Armory said $4,000 was a fair price

I'll assume that Tim Prince saw the P53... and I'll add that 4K would the seller price, whether that is you or a dealer. Most dealers will offer you 15-20 % less.
If it is in NRA Excellent condition, which is very unusual for a CSA Enfield, I'd might go with a bit over the 4K if you sell it directly to an individual.

Excellent is; All original parts, over 80% original finish, unmarred wood, fine bore, sharp lettering. In perfect condition inside and out.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I dealt with Tim Prince. I have a gun collector for about 78 years. This is only the 2nd P-53 I have owned. I sold most of my Civil War guns at the Nashville Civil War Show about 10 years ago. I also collected Sharps, Winchesters, 1851 Colts and Colt SAA's. I had over 40 of the beauties but old age has taken a bite out of my enthusiasm.

Back