Restricted Confederate Emblem Close to Being Removed from Mississippi State Flag

PapaReb

First Sergeant
Not really certain how to respond to the post. Sad, shocked or angry...maybe even like. If the people of Mississippi are in favor of changing their state flag more power to them. BUT if the change is being instituted just because of the loud demands of radicals I am opposed to it.

Edited. The voters of Mississippi become yet the latest victims Edited. It was done without letting Mississippians themselves decide edited. The majority was comfortably elected to office by voters in Mississippi, mostly because of their promise to protect the state flag and memorials. It did not take them long to reverse their positions and cave to the pressure being exerted against them.edited.

To include the Governor, saying that he would not sign a Bill so important to the people of Mississippi because a decision of this magnitude should only be left to the people to decide, by referendum in the next election, and not be left to the legislators to decide the fate of the state flag. Then all of a sudden he reversed his position and stated that he would sign a Bill to replace the flag if it was brought to his office, contradicting what he was elected on and promises made just days and hours before the legislators voted, stating in an interview: "what`s the point of vetoing the Bill". It did not take long for the majority in both the Mississippi House of Representatives and Senate to cave under extreme threats and pressure being exerted edited.

Basically the feeling in this state by many is that we were betrayed by our elected officials who promised one thing to get elected to office and then once elected they delivered the exact opposite by caving and changing their policy positions to appease large corporations, lobbyists and special interest groups. Selling out the very people that elected them in good faith to office. They say that this was done to heal old wounds and to become a more inclusive people, however, because they did this through numerous back room deals in the shadows with threats to members and much political arm-breaking, we are farther apart as a people in Mississippi than we were before, with the divide between us now being deeper and wider than it was before. Had they left it to the people to decide by referendum in the next election, as they initially promised that they would, I for one and numerous others would have accepted the outcome, what ever the result was, as it would have been left to the voters of Mississippi to decide what the people of Mississippi wanted. It would have been disappointing but accepted. Now many who opposed this injustice will neither accept this decision nor support the new flag because of the way that they went about doing this in such a shady way, denying Mississippians their right to be heard and express their will at the ballot box.

edited. I expect that Mississippi will see a lot of new faces in the House and Senate in future elections. Meanwhile this misguided cleansing of history continues across this state and throughout our country. What have I learned during this process? That politicians are not the solution, they are a large part of the problem and can not be believed or trusted regarding any of their promises made, either during an election cycle or when holding office. In addition to that, if you want change do not wait for the legal process to deliver justice as it will not arrive for years, if at all, it seems that those marching across our cities tearing down statues and memorials get immediate results with little to no punishment. Maybe edited taking to the streets and demanding that their voices be heard seeking justice, following in the footsteps of protestors and rioters over the last few weeks. Because it looks like it is working for them as they are getting everything that they demand now, not years from now. I am not advocating that anyone take to the streets and burn cities to the ground, as I am against that type of violence and lawlessness, I am just making an observation that those who are doing this are getting immediate results and satisfaction from their actions, while the rest of us take years going through the legal process, their justice is swift and immediate... ours is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, if it is delivered at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaReb

First Sergeant
The article states that in 2001 the people of Mississippi voted to keep the flag as is. Interesting that they have decided to not let the people vote this time. Maybe they are afraid of how that vote might turn out.
In the current climate “consent of the governed” does not truly exist. Bowing to mob violence (or the threat of it) is what we are seeing. Once again, just my opinion.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
There is a supplier of flags in the UK already describes the flag as "Mississippi (OLD)"!

Just because of this news I bought two from an American seller, Alabama Flag and Banner in Huntsville.

Tate "Tater Tot" Reeves ran for governor in Mississippi on the platform that the state flag should only, and ONLY be up for a public referendum. And he has gone back on it. There is already ongoing discussion from pro-flag groups to put the flag on the ballot in November. Same thing that happened over Georgia's state flag from 2001-2003.

The state legislature did this go-around, namely because large corporate interests are threatening the state's government. This certainly isn't from the goodness of their hearts.

They did this because polling today shows the same amount of support for the 1894 flag as it was in 2001, about 60%. Any referendum vote means the current flag still wins. And Corporate America is not having that. All this means is that the Joe Shmoe Rural Republicans in Mississippi are ripe for a backlash against this.

Local politics has now been dragged in. This is only the beginning. There will be a pushback.

The Mississippi Sons of Confederate Veterans, the Our State Flag Foundation, Mississippians For Keeping the Flag of 1894, and Keep The Flag Use Your Vote will certainly keep the fight up.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
In the current climate “consent of the governed” does not truly exist. Bowing to mob violence (or the threat of it) is what we are seeing. Once again, just my opinion.
Mississippi had been trying to attract outside investment with various tax incentives since the 1930s. It won't do to scare away potential investors who don't want any affiliation to the Confederacy.
Leftyhunter

PapaReb

First Sergeant
Mississippi had been trying to attract outside investment with various tax incentives since the 1930s. It won't do to scare away potential investors who don't want any affiliation to the Confederacy.
Leftyhunter
Which has absolutely nothing to do with allowing the will of the people to be voiced and followed. Changing the state’s flag should be put to a vote and allow the state’s population to voice their acquiescence or denial of the change.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Per
Which has absolutely nothing to do with allowing the will of the people to be voiced and followed. Changing the state’s flag should be put to a vote and allow the state’s population to voice their acquiescence or denial of the change.
Perhaps but if Mississippi is to advance economically it needs to attract skilled workers many of whom are not white as have many other Southern states especially Georgia it might behoove Mississippi to change its image.
Leftyhunter

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Per
Perhaps but if Mississippi is to advance economically it needs to attract skilled workers many of whom are not white as have many other Southern states especially Georgia it might behoove Mississippi to change its image.
Leftyhunter
Or better yet..... here's a novel concept: Let Mississippi decide what's best for Mississippi.

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Or better yet..... here's a novel concept: Let Mississippi decide what's best for Mississippi.
Nobody is putting a gun to the head of their legislators. Then again maybe the Mississippi State Legislators don't want a messy public debate they need to attract outside investment and they don't have such a great state image to begin with.
Leftyhunter

dlofting

First Sergeant
As far as Ièm concerned this is the right decision. The Confederate flag should be reserved for re-enactments and soldiers graves. If people want to fly it on their own property, that is their right.

Paul Yancey

Sergeant
Believe it or not, I think that sports played an important role in the decision. The commissioner of the South Eastern Conference stated that the conference would not hold official championship events in the state until the flag was changed. The NCAA soon followed, saying that it would not hold championship events in states with flags in which the Confederate flag had "prominent presence."

Y2KBYTZ

Cadet
Not really certain how to respond to the post. Sad, shocked or angry...maybe even like. If the people of Mississippi are in favor of changing their state flag more power to them. BUT if the change is being instituted just because of the loud demands of radicals I am opposed to it.
The flags of America have changed many times for many reasons; I think this is a good choice. Of course the people are in favor of the change, that's who the government represents; they heard the call and honored it. This is a good thing, it will allow us to move on to better changes and movements that need to be addressed.

The Mississippians decided by voting in the current Politicians. I'm not too sure about promising to protect a flag and monuments being the main reason they got voted in, but reasonably it's time for change and the majority want the change, it's a good thing. I don't think the change came because the government caved; I think it came because it's time and it's a good thing. I'm not hearing this call of the many that they feel betrayed. However; I do believe it is just a flag and it was not voted in....It did not go through a formal vote through out Mississippi and then became the states flag. So why would it need to do that to change for the better? Changing the flag does not cleanse history....slavery is still and will always be a mighty dark stain on America. That history will not change.

The protestors are asking for changes that should have taken place decades ago. They are asking for changes that should have been incorporated in our churches and homes over hundreds of years ago. While I wish it was done more peacefully and without damaging property...………. as far as sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow goes, I think the call for change has been far too slow in being heard.

jvarnell

Private
all abo
Per
Leftyhunter
all about the $$$$ hugh, some things never change