Confederate earthen fortifications in the Trans-Mississippi

Hey that's a very good book, I need to pick up a copy for myself one of these days when I'm book shopping. Looking at the blueprint, I strongly suspect it's post-battle, but outside of some very incorrect newspaper drawings, its all we got, and very few people seem to know about it! (Makes me feel smart for finding it lol.)

I'd love to see the blueprint used to rebuild Fort Derussy, but who knows what'll happen.
It is a good book. I picked it up a few years ago while working in Louisiana.

There are still some Confederate earthworks at the Columbus-Belmont State Park in Kentucky (former site of Fort Halleck on the Mississippi). I haven't seen them in person and have no opinion on whose were better. The Union took it all over but just garrisoned soldiers there for the rest of the war.
dang I was just about to say the same thing.....
columbus.JPG

I'd personally love to see the works in Columbus, especially where the "Lady Polk" blew up. I've always been curious to know whether or not those works still survived in any form.

But that is East of the Mississippi...
Not a part of the country I visit often.

On another note, Fort Beauregard is still there, and on June 7-9th there will be a reenactment on the fort's grounds near Harrisonburg, Louisiana. Just in case anyone's interested.
Perhaps you can post a notice/link about that in the Events,Living Histories,& Reenactments forum. I can't seem to find much about Fort Beauregard online.

I agree. The works at Port Hudson were well laid out and still impressive today. As good as any in the east.

I have always been told and read where there was more artillery shells fired at Post Hudson then Vicksburg.

Not picking nits, but for the record . . . the Port Hudson fortifications are on the east side of the Mississippi River.

That may be my bad, I never meant to infer it was, mainly just included it because it was in Louisiana, and gets neglected. But hey they were supplied from the west side of the river, and most (if not all, can't remember off hand) of the Confederate troops were from Louisiana and States west of the river. I still should have clarified though.

That may be my bad, I never meant to infer it was, mainly just included it because it was in Louisiana, and gets neglected. But hey they were supplied from the west side of the river, and most (if not all, can't remember off hand) of the Confederate troops were from Louisiana and States west of the river. I still should have clarified though.
No problem at all.

I almost didn't say anything, but there's always that visitor or student that uses this site as a reference within their academic assignments.

The only one I'm familiar with is Port Hudson. Ive spent many a day in the CS works there and they were very well constructed and covered a LOT of land. Fort Hell was one of my favorite spot in these works.
I am going to the Baton Rouge CWRT Symposium April 5-7 and on Sunday we have a field trip scheduled for Port Hudson and I am looking forward to seeing the works you described.
Regards
David

Take plenty of photos and let us know how the weekend went. Hotty Toddy

Port Hudson should have a life of its own.

I've always been under the impression that there were no remains of Fort Smith, (along with just about all of Shreveport's defenses), glad to know there's something. Oh and I love that replica! I want on for my yard now.

There is "something" there. The marker reads "restored remnant and replica" so I'm not exactly sure whether the raised ground in the park is actually an original earthwork or something created for the park.

But here are some more visual aids that might help show what is there.

ft-smith02a.jpg
ft-smith03a.jpg
ft-smith04a.jpg

ft-smith05.JPG

Last edited:
Back