Confederate Drummer Of The 6th Virginia, The Other Mosby

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
drum conf 1.jpg

Charles' F.' Mosby pictured here is really Charles E. . Son of Southern, pre-war widow Sarah Brumfield Mosby from Manchester, Virginia with numerous progeny by husband Edward, Charles seems to have entered army life on the heels of Sumter's echo. He was only 13. Easy enough marveling at these images of youth to miss what, exactly was their war. Easy enough to find out, North and South. Image from Miller's available in Internet Archives, public access.

Enlistment age was years away- a child this size fooled no one. A plethora of images like these means age and enlistment had little correlation despite regulations otherwise. Our 13 year old sons were wrestling with algebra, smearing soccer mud all over our cars, drinking milk from the carton and trailing laundry through the house. Mine weren't getting shot at. While still 13 Charles had seen Bull Run, at 14 Antietam and Malvern Hill with the 6th Virginia Infantry, Mahone's Brigade.

I'm terrible with different names for regiments. Miller's states Charles mustered out in 1862 and reenlisted in Henderson's Heavy Artillery. 18th Battalion? Can't find which regiment was headed by a Henderson. If anyone knows more ( pretty sure a LOT of you do and no one knows less than me ), would you mind posting, please?

This little guy survived the war, mustered out in 1865 and in 1875, age 27, weirdly married a distant relation of mine, Cornelia Leonard. It really, really is a small world, if we took the time to poke around. He died in 1922, I think a book binder although one baffling entry in a later census states an occupation of ' gas maker '. Sounds like a wife's idea of a joke. Having lived through that shambles, nice to think he married someone with a sense of humor.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Lubliner

First Sergeant
Looking into his eyes I can almost see the lips quivering from inner fear, and almost breaking into a smile. He has a very vibrant reflection. In the Atlas of the war, I have located at least one home of 'Mosby' out in the Williamsburg Pike direction headed toward Toano, and Anderson's Cross Roads. Good picture. Thank you for posting it.
Lubliner.

RochesterBill

Corporal
A gas maker made coal gas ( sometimes called Town gas ) by heating coal, which produced a gas ( mainly hydrogen and methane ) which was used for lighting and heating. The coal was turned into coke, which is used in steel making and the residual tar was used on roads.

Prior to the development of natural gas pipeline systems in the 1940s and 50s, which made it possible to transport natural gas long distances, virtually all the gas used for lighting and such was made from coal. The plants where it was made were called gasworks.

Gas maker was indeed a profession.

Last edited:

luna Cipher

Cadet
OMG thank you so much I got at least 20 facts from this that were easy to find, and It has started off my research project!! THANK YOU SO MUCH

Last edited:

luna Cipher

Cadet
I need a little more help, If you could provide. if not... well thats ok! I can always find a different source to finish my notes!!
Thanks, either way you choose. I need 10 more facts... but that's ok if you don't have them! really!

luna Cipher

Cadet
like your signature or whatever. im currently very tired so I dont have as many exclamation points. sry.

Robert Gray

First Sergeant
An original print of Mosby is in the collections of the Confederate Memorial Literary Society at the Virginia Museum of History and Culture.

CMLS3.jpg

luna Cipher

Cadet
I know less than you... BC IM HECKING 12. I turned 12 last saturday. keep forgetting to say i'm 12

Last edited:

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
My, that is young! No wonder women were able to enter service and masquerade as young men. No a whisker showing on that one, nor likely to be through the war. I find it fascinating that someone so young was so intent on serving.

TerryB

Major
So glad to hear the boy survived. I've uncovered the records of Col. Marcellus Pointer's brother-in-law, who enlisted at a similar age in the 9th Miss Inf in 1861. The boy was sent home "by order of the president" but soon rejoined another regiement, only to be sent home again. I have no other record of the boy serving, apparently due to his still being underage in 1865. He died young in Dallas in the 1870s and is buried there.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!