Confederate Descendants

N.B. Forrest had a descendt AAF member. My own family and others have served since the Civil War, it's not that uncommon.
Pretty much the rule....Audie Leon Murphy had Confederate ancestors..one a Curtis Gill, who was with Vaughn's Tennesseans. If memory serves me right. I was a member of the Dockerys of Dixie at one time and Murphy's sister and also I believe his niece were members.

General Nathan B. Forrest III was killed when the B-17 he was flying was shot during a raid at the Sub pens at Kiel. He was killed when the bomber exploded. He was the first U.S. general killed in WWII. He was later reburied in Arlington National Cemetery.

Major General George B. Pickett, graduated from West Point in 1941. By 1945 he was a Lt. Col. in 1945 serving in the 16th Armored Division, He was Patton's youngest battalion commander. he later served in the Korean War. He died in 2003. He was a descendant of both William W. Bibb (1st governor of Alabama) and George E. Pickett.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/176476815/george-bibb-pickett

Last edited:
William Cuthbert Faulkner, the writer, was the great-grandson of Colonel William Clark Falkner (his book character, Colonel Sartoris was based on the "Old Colonel" Falkner), the first Colonel of the 2nd Mississippi Infantry Regiment. He tried to join the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWI, but was turned down because of his height. In 1918 he was later accepted as a cadet-in-training in the Royal Air Force in Canada. That's where he changed the spelling of his last name to Faulkner from Falkner, thinking adding the "u" made it sound more British. WWI ended before he finished training in Toronto, although he allowed others to believe he had actually flown combat missions. He was an interesting character...

25disunion-TR-articleInline.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt, 4 years oldCreditTheodore Roosevelt Collection, Houghton Library, Harvard University
The lifetime effect of such words during wartime on a 4-year-old boy, already outfitted in his own Zouave uniform – “Is me a soldier?”, he asked – is incalculable. In 1905 President Roosevelt visited Roswell, Ga., the site of Mittie Bulloch’s childhood home, Bulloch Hall. In a speech, Roosevelt underscored his Southern ancestry. “Men and women,” the president asked the crowd, “don’t you think I have the ancestral right to claim a proud kinship with those who showed their devotion to duty as they saw the duty, whether they wore the gray or whether they wore the blue?”

The late Senator John McCain was a Navy flyer during the Vietnam war. His father and grandfather were both U.S. Navy Admirals. All of them were descended from William Alexander McCain, a Mississippi Cavalryman, killed in the War Between the States.

Source: Faith of My Fathers, John McCain, Random House, 1999, p. 18

Back