Confederate defenses around Atlanta

wilber6150

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
atlan2bwlow.jpg
atlanta2oops2nomark.jpg

Awesome pic. But are you sure it's Confederate? Their bronze 12 pounders didn't typically have the muzzle swell like the one shown here.

Last edited:
I do not know if this is a George N.Barnard photo but it is similar to other photos that he took so I would think this photo was taken after the rebels left their defenses so you knows actually whose cannon that is.other photos show the swelled muzzle but you can't tell if they are brass or not.

Awesome pic. But are you sure it's Confederate? Their brass 12 pounders didn't typically have the muzzle swell like the one shown here?
A captured piece perhaps, as one the main suppliers of weapons to the Confederate army was the Union Army.

A captured piece perhaps, as one the main suppliers of weapons to the Confederate army was the Union Army.
This is true. That's why I was wondering. I may be mistaken, but I think the Confederacy was reduced to making iron cannon by 1864. Wilber, do you know when this was taken by any chance?

This is true. That's why I was wondering. I may be mistaken, but I think the Confederacy was reduced to making iron cannon by 1864. Wilber, do you know when this was taken by any chance?
I'm not Wilber, but if I had to hazard a guess; it would be after Atlanta had fallen in 1864 since there was a number of photographs taken of the Atlanta defenses at that time including one that shows a Napoleon that is now on display at Kennesaw.

I'm not Wilber, but if I had to hazard a guess; it would be after Atlanta had fallen in 1864 since there was a number of photographs taken of the Atlanta defenses at that time including one that shows a Napoleon that is now on display at Kennesaw.
I notice I have a tendency to associate anything involving Atlanta with 1864.

Me and redbob were thinking that. I was wondering if you knew when the pic was taken and where. The works around it and the chevaux de frise look to be in pretty good shape. Was it after Atlanta fell?
Heres the info from LOC
  • Atlanta, Georgia. Interior view of Confederate fort, east of W. & A. Railroad, looking east
  • Creator(s): Barnard, George N., 1819-1902, photographer
  • Date Created/Published: 1864.
The lack of any men from either side in the image, I think points to it being taken after its capture and before enemy peices were removed.

Back