PA Confederate dead in nat'l cemetery

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Looking for an update on John Rudy's research into the Confederate dead buried in the Gettysburg National Cemetery. We were told he was collecting data for a piece he was working on linking the slaveholding fathers of these men to the Confederate cause. It's been several months now, heard anything?

Looking for an update on John Rudy's research into the Confederate dead buried in the Gettysburg National Cemetery. We were told he was collecting data for a piece he was working on linking the slaveholding fathers of these men to the Confederate cause. It's been several months now, heard anything?

That's not what you were told, but don't start letting the truth get in your way now.

I guess John is still researchin' away. Was hoping to have cogent information with his groundbreaking efforts by now but guess we'll have to sit tight.

Well, whatever the case, and it should not be turned into an argument, I hope it can be ascertained who is there. We have so many unidentified men there it remains heartbreaking. No one who did not witness the carnage has a right to quibble on who managed a decent burial or where. It'd be a terrific sign of healing if these men, when found, can remain there without yet another divisive war raging over their heads. We need that.

I have two relatives buried in the National Cemetery as unidentified. They were identified when buried in shallow graves, after being killed. For what, a buck a body ( do not have the amount t my fingertips ) Basil Biggs and Weaver and crew got them from decomposing in shallow, barely graves to the cemetery. By 1864. I can at least know where they are.

Confederate families waited- until 1870 to get their loved ones home. Meanwhile, tourist dollars rolled in, sightseers walking over Confederate dead. That was crazy.

Back