Confederate cruisers

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Confederate cruisers: The warships built by Britain and France for the Confederacy during the first two years of the war. By 1863, the United States looked like it was sure to win the war and pressured the European nations to stop providing them to the South.

DWMack65

Private
After the war the british gov't was sued by the Grant administration in the "alabama claims" because of damage to us merchant ships by British built cruisers. I think the US was awarded something like 15 million which a huge sum. I wonder what it would equal in todays money.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
The cruisers were sometimes referred to as "pirates" and "privateers," but they really didn't fit either definition. "Pirate" was frequently applied to them as an insult by the Northern press, and "privateer" was often used in an inaccurate, romantic sense-- inaccurate because they were (Confederate) government-built (or converted), owned, manned, and operated.

ExNavyPilot

2nd Lieutenant
I think the best description for the Confederate cruiser was "commerce raider." They were designed to capture or sink northern merchant vessels, thereby damaging the north's economy, but were armed heavily enough to defend themselves against Union naval vessels.

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I think the best description for the Confederate cruiser was "commerce raider." They were designed to capture or sink northern merchant vessels, thereby damaging the north's economy, but were armed heavily enough to defend themselves against Union naval vessels.
.... Well.... as long as those Union naval vessels were something like the Hatteras. :wink: