VA Confederate Cemetery Farmville Virginia

White Flint Bill

Sergeant
Just outside of Farmville is a cemetery where 350-400 Confederate soldiers who died in the hospital there were buried. The place is serene and wooded. The graves are unmarked.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

Farmville is also on the road that the ANV took from Petersburg to Appomattox.
The evacuation of the wounded here from Southhall Station onward to Appomattox was very well organized. Waypoints were set up for ambulance details, on to train depots, and thence to City Point by rail. Both General Grant and Meade should be praised for the arrangements made during the advance for bringing the wounded in.
Lubliner.

My paternal grandmother called Farmville, Virginia home when she was growing up and James Peyton Glenn in my signature was from that area. After becoming a teacher and coming to North Carolina she still had family ties to that area and kept a subscription to the hometown newspaper well into her eighties. Her brother and my great uncle J. Petyon Moore was a history professor at Hampden Sydney
College and was the main inspiration behind me falling in love with Civil War history. He overcame Polio which left him using crutches
and braces for his entire adult life to get where he was and told me many good stories and gave me books that aroused my interest not just in Civil War History but American History in general.

Back