MS Confederate Cemetery at Quitman, mississippi

79transam66

Cadet
This cemetery is in Quitman, Mississippi near the railroad and Hwy 45 south. It it part of the Texas Hospital that was built in 1862 and later burned completely when union troops came through the area the next year. It is accessible from the highway but has posted land around it. Lived here most of my life and this is a very solemn place to go and reflect on the men who were laid to rest.

20210301_140231.jpg

20210301_140549.jpg

Ive been there on 2 occasions when we were digging the camps at Enterprise. I drove down to scope out the Texas hospital site and a local told me about it. I wish someone would redo the concrete arch. BTW there a great RR depot in Quitman.

Ive been there on 2 occasions when we were digging the camps at Enterprise. I drove down to scope out the Texas hospital site and a local told me about it. I wish someone would redo the concrete arch. BTW there a great RR depot in Quitman.
The arch was damaged they said during a hurricane many years ago. Not sure what the cost would be to have it repaired and have it look right. The area around the cemetery is completely posted with signage everywhere you look.

I assume all the land posted around it is private woodland. That would make it an eerily silent witness without much intrusion.
Lubliner.
This cemetery is not too far off a main highway and the railroad tracks are really close too. As far as the land, it is posted by the owner not sure of who that is just know there are posted signs everywhere. Also there is some bogs/lowlands nearby.

This cemetery is not too far off a main highway and the railroad tracks are really close too. As far as the land, it is posted by the owner not sure of who that is just know there are posted signs everywhere. Also there is some bogs/lowlands nearby.
It sounds really ghostly. I bet at night it does get spooky when the cicadas come out. This spring it may be a good spot to bird watch!
Lubliner.

Back