Confederate Cavalry Figure

Bonedaddy

Private
I found this figure at a local estate sale several weeks ago, along with other Civil War and World War II figures. It is approximately 11" in height. There is no maker's mark on it that I can find. I was wondering if someone had seen this particular figure before and provide information about it. It looks to have been done very well.
IMG_20210127_100114874_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20210127_100139484_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20210127_100130722_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20210127_100123931_PORTRAIT.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting figure. Looks like it would be nice enough to display.
Here are my observations and questions.

1. He wears an aiguillette cord on his right shoulder. Were those worn in the Confederate Army?
  2. He carries a full infantry musket but I don't see any cartridge box. (see 3)
  3. What is that on his right hip? Pistol or cartridge box? If latter, how is it carried---belt loops?
  4. His knee-high cavalry boots appear much too thing above the ankles. Looks like gaiters.
  5. Is that a broken sword stuck in the ground?
You need to find a flat wooden base to mount him. He looks top heavy.

DixieRifles:

1. I don't know.
2. See #3.
3. See new picture that shows it probably is supposed to be a cartridge box. I don't know what else it would represent.
4. You are right. They do look very thin (see picture) but I believe they are still supposed to be boots.
5. Yes. Looks like it is supposed to be a short artillery sword?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
IMG_20210128_071306488_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20210128_071521977_PORTRAIT (1).jpg
IMG_20210128_071320250_PORTRAIT.jpg

Booner: Sorry, no whiskey in it. Still a neat piece I thought. The house where the estate sale occurred was filled with all kinds of military miniatures and figures from the Civil War, The Alamo, The Revolutionary War, and World War II. Prices were good too. I think I gave $10.00 for the cavalry figure and the smaller figures were $5.00 to $8.00 each. I will post some of these later today. Thanks for your interest.

Booner: Sorry, no whiskey in it. Still a neat piece I thought. The house where the estate sale occurred was filled with all kinds of military miniatures and figures from the Civil War, The Alamo, The Revolutionary War, and World War II. Prices were good too. I think I gave $10.00 for the cavalry figure and the smaller figures were $5.00 to $8.00 each. I will post some of these later today. Thanks for your interest.
Yes, please post the other figures to

In the first image you posted there is a mounted figure from the Mosby's range from Collector's Showcase. I have some of these and they are now discontinued. I don't remember what I paid for them many years ago , but a current mounted Civil War figure from them ( Michigan Cavalry Brigade) runs $90 to $100 each !
I have never seen the large figure before.

Here are the other Civil War figures that I got at the estate sale. I have several World War II figures that I got there that I'll post later in the non Civil War figure section. The figure pointing the sword is Joshua Chamberlain (Britain 2010), the figure pointing his arm is John Buford (Britain 2010), the figure on the horse is Collector's Showcase 2010 Mosby's Rangers, the figure holding the map looks like Longstreet but it is only marked C.S. Cavalry General 1861, and the last one is Lee. Hope you enjoy them.
IMG_20210128_081345885_PORTRAIT (1).jpg
IMG_20210128_081020215_PORTRAIT (2).jpg
IMG_20210128_080937332_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20210128_080954460_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20210128_080858482_PORTRAIT (1).jpg

Here are the other Civil War figures that I got at the estate sale. I have several World War II figures that I got there that I'll post later in the non Civil War figure section. The figure pointing the sword is Joshua Chamberlain (Britain 2010), the figure pointing his arm is John Buford (Britain 2010), the figure on the horse is Collector's Showcase 2010 Mosby's Rangers, the figure holding the map looks like Longstreet but it is only marked C.S. Cavalry General 1861, and the last one is Lee. Hope you enjoy them.
View attachment 389245View attachment 389248View attachment 389250View attachment 389253View attachment 389256
The CSA Cavalry General looks a lot like the old Series 77 piece . Is this larger than the other figures ?

Interesting figure. Looks like it would be nice enough to display.
Here are my observations and questions.

1. He wears an aiguillette cord on his right shoulder. Were those worn in the Confederate Army?
  2. He carries a full infantry musket but I don't see any cartridge box. (see 3)
  3. What is that on his right hip? Pistol or cartridge box? If latter, how is it carried---belt loops?
  4. His knee-high cavalry boots appear much too thing above the ankles. Looks like gaiters.
  5. Is that a broken sword stuck in the ground?
You need to find a flat wooden base to mount him. He looks top heavy.
What you're seeing is the sling for the rifle; it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the carbine sling over his other shoulder. This looks suspiciously like a lot of the souvenir junk I've seen in gift shops during recent visits to "touristy" Civil War sites. They're usually about this size, made in China from some sort of injected "ceramic" material or resin, and painted in a basic color scheme. Admittedly, they usually don't look this good.

Back