Confederate Cavalry at Pickett’s Mill

C. Cash

Cadet
Visited the battlefield for the first time this year. Amazing experience, but far too brief a time. I can’t wait to get back and learn more. Years ago I started to gather anything about Wheeler’s Cavalry at Pickett’s Mill or New Hope Church as the Southerners called it, as I had family in those units( Ashby’s Brigade, Hume’s Division). Particularly I have investigated their claims of having a desperate fight with Hazen and others on the right end of Granbury, straddling Pickett’s Mill Rd. I wanted to know the truth as modern accounts refute this for the most part. Slowly I’ve gathered accounts and reports which largely support the claims of Ashby’s men, though there is still much to learn and synthesize. In years directly after the Civil War, it seemed much more well known that the main fight against Wood was not Cleburne’s alone but also Wheeler fighting desperately on Granbury’s front(Hannon and Allen’s Brigades of Kelly’s Division) and to Granbury’s right(Ashby’s and possibly Harrison’s Brigades of Humes Division). Kelly’s men put up a heck of a fight, then retreated when Granbury showed but Ashby’s held by some accounts till near dark, when they were reinforced by Cleburne. Modern historians seem to cling to Cleburne and Lowery’s accounts which minimize or omit the Calvary here and ignore those who state otherwise, including Johnston, Cope, Hazen, Wheeler and a number of others on the ground that day. Hoping to connect with others here who are similarly interested to correct, confirm and/or add to what is known about these units to the front and right of Granbury. Sorry for the long winded post! Will gladly share what I have. Johnston’s report here is a fairly good starting point and summary of what went down with the Cavalry. Hazen uses this report in his memoirs years later. The “part of Humes” based on further accounts, was Ashby’s Brigade, temporarily lead by Col. James Thaddeus Wheeler. https://archive.org/details/narrativeofmilit00john/page/330

Last edited:

C. Cash

Cadet
This is Colonel James Thaddeus Wheeler who temporarily led Ashby’s Brigade at Pickett’s Mill that day. Col. Henry Ashby was suffering from the effects of being shot in the heel on a KY Cavalry raid, but despite the pain and having to use crutches when dismounted, fought on to the end at Bentonville. Wheeler here also fought and distinguished himself under Forrest. He was about 6’6”.
196B5D41-9941-4914-81A7-31BFCF017587.jpeg