Confederate Brogans - Really "All in black"?

ShortSeb

Private
Hi, folks!

Beside my finished Gunner impression (Brook's Light Artillery) I am working on my Infantry gear (2nd SC Rifles), especially for later impressions (> Autumn 1863) at the moment. So based on my research I decided to wear jeans cloth pants paired with a butternut sackcoat and a butternut forage cap/bummer.

But I am a little bit unsure about the authentic footwear for this impression. I decided to buy brown, undyed/natural Brogans for this impression because I think they will fit very well to it. But what I saw on most pictures and from confederate reenactors in the US most of them or all are wearing the common black brogans, even for later impressions.

So, did I make a mistake with my brown brogans?

20200128_1040559cjh3.jpg

(I oiled them a little bit up so they don't look as fresh and bright as new from the factory.)

20200128_103951r2kvi.jpg

(And yes, I know that my hobnails are pure luxury, especially for later impressions. But I don't want to miss them as an Infantry man. ^^ )

So, what are you saying, guys? Good and authentic for my impression or a mistake?

Hi, folks!

Beside my finished Gunner impression (Brook's Light Artillery) I am working on my Infantry gear (2nd SC Rifles), especially for later impressions (> Autumn 1863) at the moment. So based on my research I decided to wear jeans cloth pants paired with a butternut sackcoat and a butternut forage cap/bummer.

But I am a little bit unsure about the authentic footwear for this impression. I decided to buy brown, undyed/natural Brogans for this impression because I think they will fit very well to it. But what I saw on most pictures and from confederate reenactors in the US most of them or all are wearing the common black brogans, even for later impressions.

So, did I make a mistake with my brown brogans?

View attachment 344063

(I oiled them a little bit up so they don't look as fresh and bright as new from the factory.)

View attachment 344064

(And yes, I know that my hobnails are pure luxury, especially for later impressions. But I don't want to miss them as an Infantry man. ^^ )

So, what are you saying, guys? Good and authentic for my impression or a mistake?
Though black was the majority, you are safe with your purchase, the one item that the Confederate Army was always short of were shoes and as such anything went after a while. I have a brown pair that were found in Hanover, PA during the Gettysburg campaign.....

Many Confederate reenactors go with black since they can be used as part of a US impression. There never seem to be enough Yankee reenactors to go around.

Back