Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan Invades Southwest Ohio

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Raiders planned to invade Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio in the summer of 1863. In what would become the United States' longest non-stop ride of a division of horsemen in enemy territory, Morgan led his cavalrymen into Hamilton County, Ohio, via the city of Harrison. The Ohio (Hamilton County) invasion occurred on July 13-14, 1864. Morgan and his Raiders fought a minor skirmish at Miamitown and crossed over the Great Miami River at New Baltimore into Colerain. Morgan and his Raiders traveled eastbound towards the Federal army's Camp Dennison at Germany, Ohio. A small skirmish erupted near Miamiville in Clermont County just north of Camp Dennison.

* The John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail into Ohio Map.

morganmap (2).jpg

* The John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail (JHMHT) Guide Markers.

DSC_0031.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #1 : Morgan Invades Ohio in Harrison, Ohio.

DSC_0013.JPG

* The American House Hotel (circa : 1820) : Morgan's Headquarters in the City of Harrison, Ohio.

DSC_0020.JPG

* Ohio State Historical Marker : Morgan's Raiders burn the bridge over Great Miami River.

DSC_0027.JPG

* Morgan's Raiders burn the bridge over the Great Miami River in New Baltimore, Ohio.

DSC_0035.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #2 : The Darkness of all Nights - Federal Camp Colerain in Bevis, Ohio.

DSC_0039.JPG

* Ohio State Historical Marker in Springdale, Ohio.

DSC_0042.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #3 : Morgan's Confederates Arrive From in Springdale into Glendale, Ohio.

DSC_0044.JPG

* The Glendale Train Depot (Morgan's Raiders burn original Train Depot : Cincinnati - Dayton Railroad).

DSC_0046.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #4 : The Greatest Excitement I have Ever Seen in Sharonville, Ohio.

DSC_0052.JPG

* The Twelve Mile House (circa : 1842).

DSC_0056.JPG

* Ohio Historic Plaque on the Twelve Mile House.

DSC_0055.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #5 : Morgan's Raiders Spread Out From Sharonville in Evendale, Ohio.

DSC_0059.JPG

* The George Brown Barn (circa 1835) : Only original barn in Ohio and Indiana raided by Morgan's men.

DSC_0067.JPG

Last edited:
* The JHMHT Marker #6 : You Can't Stop An Army in Blue Ash, Ohio.

DSC_0081.JPG

* The John C. Hunt House (circa : 1861).

DSC_0082.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #7 : A Courageous Bluff in Deer Park, Ohio (John Schenck House - circa : 1806.).

DSC_0085.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #7 : The Camp Must Be Held in Camp Dennison, Ohio.

DSC_0102.JPG

* Ohio State Historical Marker in Camp Dennison, Ohio.

DSC_0119.JPG

* Camp Dennision Marker.

DSC_0134.JPG

* The Waldschmidt House (circa 1804) : Federal Lt. Colonel George W. Neff's Headquarters.

DSC_0112.JPG

* The Old Stone House served as Camp Dennison's Guardhouse (Now Civil War Museum).

DSC_0106.JPG

* The JHMHT Marker #9 and #10 : Derailment of the Kilgour & Fighting at the Bridges in Miamiville, Ohio.

DSC_0151.JPG

* The Little Miami River Bridge (From Camp Dennison, Ohio to Miamiville, Ohio).

DSC_0137.JPG

* Ohio State Historic Marker (Clermont County) : The Derailment of the Kilgour - Bike Path is old Railroad Pathway.

DSC_0156.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2017).

Last edited:
The only places I've visited in Ohio are Custer's birthplace at New Rumley (below), Grant's birthplace along the Ohio River, and Sherman's boyhood home. It's good to see more of the state and its historic sites related to the war!

custer state memorial new rumley 001.jpg

Thanks for posting these great photos of 'Beautiful Ohio".
Except for the one woman holding close to her husband, the civilians in Kunstler's "Morgan Raids Ohio" seem unimpressed by the gunfire and noise of these boisterous Southerners....

On this day in 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and 360 of his Raiders were captured at Salineville, Ohio, during a spectacular raid onto the North. Starting in July 1862, Morgan made four major raids on Northern or Northern-held territory. Although they were of limited strategic significance, the raids served as a boost to Southern morale and captured much-needed supplies.

* John Hunt Morgan statue in front of the Fayette County Courthouse in Lexington, Kentucky.

FB_IMG_1501063461686.jpg

Those are great pictures. Did you go in the Old Stone House served as Camp Dennison's Guardhouse (Now Civil War Museum)?

I grew up in Cincinnati. Can you believe we never learned about our own Civil War history??

I am not shocked, Mrs. V. Most individuals in the Tri-State area do not have a clue about Cincinnati's history. I asked a high school teacher a couple of weeks ago, "What is behind the city names of Fort Mitchell, Fort Wright and Fort Thomas in Kentucky?" He replied, "Daniel Boone constructed forts in this area to protect the citizens from Indian attacks." I replied, "No. These cities were named after forts and batteries constructed in the Northern Kentucky hills to protect the city of Cincinnati from a possible Confederate invasion in the fall of 1862." I think I blew his mind.....

Bill

I am not shocked, Mrs. V. Most individuals in the Tri-State area do not have a clue about Cincinnati's history. I asked a high school teacher a couple of weeks ago, "What is behind the city names of Fort Mitchell, Fort Wright and Fort Thomas in Kentucky?" He replied, "Daniel Boone constructed forts in this area to protect the citizens from Indian attacks." I replied, "No. These cities were named after forts and batteries constructed in the Northern Kentucky hills to protect the city of Cincinnati from a possible Confederate invasion in the fall of 1862." I think I blew his mind.....

Bill
I am sure you did. What with state testing, and scores being more important than actual learning and enrichment...and the curriculum they must teach. Ridiculous. Then again I have run into some teachers who were not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I will be visiting tour stops 11 to 42 of the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in Ohio in the morning.

I will start in Williamsburg and end up in Old Washington. Included in this tour will be the new and improved Buffington Island Battlefield.

I will finish this tour next Wednesday. The remaining tour (tour stops 43 to 56) ends just west of West Point, Ohio where Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan surrendered to Federal troops.

IMG_20170823_195115.jpg

Semper Fi,
Bill

Back